open seams

Backing and batting loaded, playing around with designs for this large custom wall hanging and I happened to notice the whole quilt is sewn with open seams. I have not come across this before. I have read that some go ahead and sid anyway. Is there anything I should be aware of? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, K

Having been a person that has sewn many clothes and quilts, I have to say that I do both...open and side pressed seams. I also have taught many quilt classes and have had students press either way, for the best results. It depends on how many seams go into a section as to if I will press open or to the side...such as pinwheels.  I don't care for the bulk in an intersection where a lot of seams meet. 

I think that a lot of toppers do not even think of what the LA'r would have to go through when they quilt a top.  They are more concerned about how the piecing is going to look when they are putting everything together.  I certainly have never thought that the LA'r would have problems with seams being open for sid. 

Archived