What should be charged for piecing a quilt top.

Lot's been written on what to charge for the quilting, but not much on piecing. I have a customer who wants me to make three t-shirt quilts. I'm not sure what to charge for making a complete quilt---start to finish. That mean's helping the customer figure out the design, how much fabric (sashing, borders, backing), cutting the t-shirts, ironing on the stabilizer, and then piecing it. Any one experienced with this?

I usually just quilt for others but yesterday I made an exception and took on a job to creat a quilt from scratch. What I did was to estimate the number of pieces of fabric I was going to cut and piece and then assigned a dollar value to each piece. I would think that might be a good starting place for you to decide how much time you will spend on one piece cutting, pinning and sewing it to the piece next to it.

I just finished 5 T-shirt quilts for a lady who's husband had died. He worked with me at UPS and Died of Cancer. He was a runner... I made the quilts, iron on the stablizer, cut the T-shirts, bought the fabric, did the sewing, and quiited them. $400.00 each... for 2,000.00. That was my one big job last year. I have also done two others for another UPS friend.... and these came to $350.00 and $400.00.

I always pick the fabic to set the t-shirts in. That is included. along with the quilting and binding.

Barb

I was just hired to make a twin size quilt for someone and my estimate was $350 from start to finish, thats including the fabric, I told her that was just an estimate and it could be more. She didn't have a problem with it at all and is going to hire me to make a queen for her bed from start to finish.

Good luck!!

Char

The standard price for a t-shirt quilt is $15 per shirt. Then if you do a "crazy" type job where you cut up many the price would go up to $ 20 or more.

A standard sashing and outter border, then the backing and binding.........A simple all over stipple, large would be standard..........I charge more for "decorative" stitching, at standard price.

I was going to just make t-shirt quilts for a job but have gone another direction.

Best of luck

Tish

Okay, I couldn't figure it out...so I just cut and paste...you can do a search and find more.

quote]Originally posted by CherylUribe

$100 per square yard would just be your piecing charge. Then add materials, supplies, quilting, and binding.

I like the $1200 and up price. That sounds more like it to me.

The input here is great. I like hearing everyones thoughts on this subject!

Cheryl

Archived