Buffing hook without removing and retiming?

I think I have narrowed down why my Millie keeps breaking and shredding thread…Is it possible to buff this spot without taking the hook off and retiming? I have a quilt loaded and half done, I'm sure I can limp through the rest of it but I'm debating my next move…try and buff as is or just take it off and save the mild frustration of working in that area??

post-7392-0-52878100-1392318227_thumb.png

As long as it is in a place that you can buff, I always do it on my machine. I have never retimed my 2008 Millie and have had to buff my hook many times.  I just make sure to really clean the hook well afterwards.  Lots of air, a couple W-D 40 cleaning and then really oil it.  I also try to rotate the hook so where ever I am sanding is on the bottom.  Not sure that it really matters, but it makes me feel like less shaving are going into the hook.  

Well, I did get it around to buff it out, not has hard as I thought BUT now I'm afraid I went too close to that screw on the left side of that area, it seems like the flat head opening is rough to the touch also! I'm afraid to keep buffing it so I think I am just going to order a new hook assembly. I do use my machine as a business so after 1.5 years it may just be time!

SewCute:  How coarse abrasive are you using?  I assume the scratches on the hook assembly are from your polishing.  They look pretty large.  I would use 360 grit or finer.  I use a hard Arkansas stone to polish out burrs.  It leaves the metal surface a bit duller than the original plated surface, but you don't see actual scratehes.  It also allows you the buff a specific spot without touching much of the adjacent area.  It's probably a little bit more difficult to use because it's a rigid "stick" about 3" long so you have to work harder to reach the spot you want to repair.

The burr on the screw head was probably there to begin with.  It's not uncommon for that to be the case.  Unless you tried the turn it with and ill fitting screw driver, I don't think your "buffing" caused the problem.  Use a fine emory board or stick backed sand paper to polish the burr off.  Good luck.  Jim

Archived