So many thread ends on the backing after custom quilting

MillieMOM

I am finally 'unafraid' of putting threaded needle to fabric with my Millie and QuiltPath, and have done 2 small all over patterns which turned out very well.  So... let's get creative....  I had a quilt with 20 'on point' 12 inch blocks surrounded by corner triangles, so I started out with stippling at the top border, quilted a pattern in the centre square, and quilted a triangle block in the 4 corners of each square.  I was not sure whether to 'pull the bobbin' every time I changed pattern placement, so I did some 'pull the bobbin' and some without pulling the bobbin. 

When the quilt was finished, the top is quite lovely, but the bottom of the quilt is a rat's nest of threads.  How can I avoid this in the future?  Am I restricted to overall panto patterns if I don't want to deal with all those thread ends?

Another question I have is how do I deal with the "out of the save area" messages that come up, even though I tell QuiltPath the exact length and width of the quilting area, total length and total height of the pattern area.....

Jeannette, very new to QuiltPath but determined to master it, even if I don't understand 'nodes', etc etc .... :)

Always bring the bobbin thread to the top side whenever you stop, whether you run out of bobbin thread or are finishing a design. Either bring up the bobbin thread, do some securing stitches, and trim. Or knot and bury the tails. With either of these techniques, you bring the bobbin thread up no matter what. If you opt for knot-and-bury, insert a easy-to-see pin next to the thread and wrap both tails around the pin to secure them. Then you can come back whenever you want to bury the tails. That's time consuming but I bet easier than unsnarling all the nests on the back side. 

• 4 months later...

Archived