Continuous line for a pinwheel pattern

You can do it continuously, if you just want to outline the pinwheel and the square.

Start in the very center. Move straight up, then turn right, go down diagonally to the left.

Continue this line, passing back through the center. You'll come out in the bottom left. Go right, then back up toward the center.

When you reach the center, turn right and follow that blade out to the edge, then go down, then back up and to the left.

Pass through the center again and outline the last blade, just like the others. You'll end up in the center.

Do the outer box shape as a seperate design.

I don't know if these directions make sense to you or not, but just grab a pencil and draw it on paper as you follow the directions. you'll see how it works.

Thanks!

Debbie - what is line dancing?

Teresa - I can follow that around and it completes 1 pinwheel. Is there a way to do parts of all 10 in the row and then other parts of all 10 again. I can get it almost : going the long diagonal and then up and repeat that; 2nd pass: the other long diagonal, back half way on the top, down the center, half way to the right and then repeat. But, that leaves out part of the tops..would I carry back over to complete?? Just wondering what someone's thoughts are on it.

I appreciate everyone helping on these kind of preplextions(?)...

Hi Danne--

If you are familiar with continuous curves (a curved line that runs from one seam intersection to the next) you can figure out a path of CC across lots of blocks.

Usually the path starts in the upper left corner and follows the seam intersections, hitting each triangle. Plot the path on graph paper first to avoid getting cornered. CCs flow from left to right/up/down following a path across one full row. As you get to the far right upper corner the path goes horizontally across all the top seam lines from right to left and ends back at the upper left corner.

CC's are fun and very effective. I'll see if I can find a site that shows a CC path.

Linda R

Olympia, Wa

Thanks to everyone. Any one interested -- you can do two side by side in a continuous line. Then you have to stop and restart. My math teacher husband said it is the Colinsburgh Bridge problem...3 islands, 5 bridges connecting them, can only cross each bridge once...:)

• 5 months later...

My "2007 Album" in my webshots there is a red & white quilt that is in a strip set. I quilted it with the stripes going side to side on my machine and there is cc in the small 4patch sqs. It would be simular for a pinwheel just a couple of extra lines of stitching in each block. The strips of dark red are also continious line stitching.

Archived