Triangles on a Roll question - help!

Hi. I know you're probably tired of my BOM questions, but I can't figure out how to use the Triangles on a Roll. The instructions are only this:

"Cut fabric 6" wide by length to obtion desired number of blocks. Layer two fabrics - right sides together. Sew following arrows. Rotary cut all solid lines. Tear away paper."

Now, just how long is "length"??? And do I layer the paper over the fabric? Do I cut the paper down the middle along the line or leave whole and stitch across two triangle widths? This is very different from the Wedding Ring paper piecing I did a few years ago. I thought since I'd done that I could do this, but not so easy!

Hi Patty,

First, figure out how many triangles you need to make. Cut the amount of paper off for those triangles. Measure the paper and cut the fabric about 1/2 inch wider and longer on all sides so that when you pin the paper on top, you can see that you have an ample amount of fabric under the paper. Put the fabrics right sides together. You can press both fabrics together under the iron to help adhere them together better. Then, lay the paper over the top and place pins inside the triangles to hold all three together. Don't pin on the dotted lines cuz that's where you sew.

In my opinion, it's easier to work with shorter lengths of fabric (under 12 inches) because you have to turn the fabrics as you stitch on the dotted lines (less stuff to fuss with).

Turn your stitch length down to 1.25 or around that so the stitches perforate the paper as you go. Start at one end and follow the arrow along the dotted lines. Make sure you have stitched on all of the dotted lines before removing the pins and start trimming on the solid lines with the rotary cutter.

Here's a tip I use when I trim: Instead of trying to eyeball the line by looking at the edge of the ruler, look through the ruler to the paper below and try to get the ruler lines to go exactly on top of the solid paper line. This is more accurate. Cut the tops and bottom edges off (cleaning the extra fabric off. Then, cut on all solid lines looking through the ruler. After you're done, pull the paper off and press open. You will want to trim off the dog ears.

Try your very hardest to stitch exactly on the dotted lines (don't veer off), and same goes with the rotary cutting. THe more accurate you are with these two steps, the more accurate your half square triangles will be. :)

OK I've yammered on and on again (sorry). :P

Oh man, don't be sorry! You'd make a GREAT quilting teacher, Shana. Thanks so much for all the info. Now I'll print it out and get to work on my HST's. I'll let you know how it works out, ok? Oh, goodie, goodie, goodie, I can do this!

Shana, Am an older person, but relatively new to quilting. Have enjoyed your directions and mentioned this to my DH last night. Didn't know about this site when I started piecing. Keep up the good work. Sometimes these things are difficult to figure out for newbies and I know I would have appreciated all of your help. Go girl!!!!

Marilyn

Shana,

Patty is right on the money -- your explanation and directions were terrific! And I should know. I learned to quilt in 1991 from the lady who invented triangles on a roll -- Ann Dutton. She sold the rights a few years ago. She had a store named Quilters Ranch in Tempe Arizona. She was a terrific person and teacher, with a lot of enthusiasm and eagerness to help. I don't think she could have expalined it any better!

By the way, if you have long piece (I wouldn't recommend more than 22 inches) try rolling the ends as you stitch -- kinda like some people roll their quilt when quilting on a domestic machine. Makes it easier to manuever those twists and turns under the machine. Also, make sure your needle is down before changing direction,

Mary Burns

Liberty

Buda, TX

Hey, did my HST's this morning and they never came out cleaner or squarer. Thanks so much for helping me with them, Shana.

Mary, that's very interesting about the TOAR. I bet you miss having her in her store there. Happy triangulating anyway! LOL!

Archived