Backing the same size as top

jlrhash

A friend fixed her son's quilt that is now being used by her grandson. She fixed the top, fused Stacy (our local embroidery ladies usenet to back their work), gave me batting and the original pre quilted backing.

My brain kicked in the next morning and I checked, of course the original backing is cut to the size of the top.

I could sew strips to the edge of the backing to give me room to load it. But, I have seen experienced quilters (I have had my Millie for less than 4 months - not experienced) not get the quilt centered correctly.

I thought of spry basting the quilt sandwich and then, sewing the extra stips to the whole sandwich. I am sewing my friend today and may ask if we could replace the backing with a flannel. She could always flannel back the original backing for a second cuddle quilt. But, barring that any ideas or advice on doing s sandwich with the extra strips would be appreciated.

Thanks

You will probably be fine if you just add strips so that you have room to quilt, but then take off strips after finishing quilting.  If your frugal it should work.  I've done it before it's just not my favorite way to quilt.

lol some typos are just too funny.  I recently had a top that was made of hand dyed fabric.  The backing was two pieces of hand dyed and larger all around by one inch.  I was able to sew extra fabric to all sides and quilt within the backing area.  Fortunately, the borders were wide enough that  if needed, we could cut off some of the border after it was quilted.  It is not easy to place the quilt exactly in the center.  Go for a different backing if you can.

I once quilted a flannel pieced king sized quilt top with a backing that was exactly the same size.  I loaded it very carefully and was able to keep it straight and it was just right at the end.  I float all my tops, but took special care of that one.

Karen

Archived