I will be using white thread in the white area and will use wool batting.  I want to push the white back with different small fills but what do I do in each color area?  Should I use invisible thread and minimize the quilting so it will pop out?  I hate to just SID it and that is just no fun.  I'd like good height for the points.  Each block is 12" square. Suggestions please. - Lots of suggestions!!!  I see, this site doesn't like my picture extension.  I guess you will just have to image. Why does this have to be so hard?  WE have lift-off!

post-3653-0-03848900-1397350667_thumb.jpg

Sylvia, perhaps your picture size is too large.  I usually email them to myself and in the process select that the pic be sent as a smaller size.  Then save the pic on your computer and select it to attach to your post.   You should be able to post a jpg, but I do not know which other extensions are accepted.

I live in the "Show me" state, I have to see a picture.  :rolleyes:

The quilt is lovely, is it yours?  I do not have any quilting design advice for you, other than to say I like your idea of quilting down the white background so that the mariner's compass pops.  I would SID each of the blocks and you can do a continuous design in the sashing that has a connector such as TT in the cornerstones.  I think some of the design wizards will pop in here and give you some ideas.  Please post pics when you get it done.

Sylvia,  

This is a really hard one because the blocks are so busy.  If you look at the first block, it's a pink star with blue points behind it.  Maybe you could stitch 1/4 inch away, around the pink star.  Then feather each blue one.  In each block you could pick the part you'd like to 1/4 inch around.  It's a lot less work than SID everything.  

If you do different fills, the stars would show if you SID.  I'm glad I don't have this quilt to do.  It's too much thinking for me to come up with a design for the individual blocks.

Hi Sylvia! Yes, with wool batting and a dense-ish fill in the white behind the stars, you'll have gorgeous, "standing tall" stars to play with. One thing that I do to add interest is to not quilt part of the piecing in each block. Usually it's either the smallest pieces or a specific color in the piecing. For example, on the top-left block I'd leave the center yellow un-quilted. Row two, number two--leave the pale blue surrounding triangles. The filler in the white will make them pop and you may not need to SID them if the filler is dense.

As for the stars--if your customer is paying for custom, SID with invisible thread will be boring for you, but effective. If the budget is smaller, do CC's. When the points are sharp, like most of these---don't CC to the sharp point, but do a long thin loop almost to the point. That will nail down the piecing and let the wool batting do its job. I'll link to a Moonglow picture that shows what I mean about the loops and leaving some pieces un-quilted. 

Also, nothing wrong with using invisible thread on the stars, if it works well on your machine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/9260991429/

Archived