Singer vs. Groz-Beckert

I used the non-Singer brand on my Nolting with no problem....not that it was the same machine as my Millennium. However, they are the same type needles as the Singer.....just a different brand. Is it definate that they will not work in the Millennium?

I'm just trying to avoid problems.........

Hi Laurie

You can definitely form stitches with other brands but often people have trouble especially when using tricky fabrics such as batiks. Other brands of needle look very similar but often they are not the same length, diameter and shape. An APQS machine is timed for the Singer needle.

If you have other needles on hand you could try them but if you start to have problems with a particular quilt or thread then change over to the original needles and see if that solves the problem.

Good luck with your Milli - I am sure you will love it.

sue in australia

• 5 weeks later...

I've just tested the Groz-Beckert needles, compared to the Singers I've used since 1997. The only difference I can see is that they cost more. The stitching looks identical front & back.

They are supposed to last longer but the very first one I took out of the pack was so crooked it broke immediately. Just a fluke probably, but not a good first impression for me.

I'm sure they'll both work just fine in the Millennium, but don't see the reason to pay more for something that gives me the same results as the Singers. If someone can proove that they stay sharp much longer than the Singer needles, then that may offset the higher cost.

but haven't used them. I bought more Singer needles instead of taking the chance of breaking the G-B's. I broke too many needles trying to sew my zippers on! and really don't want to experience THAT again!

Thanks for the research, Darlene!

Archived