batting poke throughs???

I need some suggestions....I am doing a large quilt with navy backing and at the back I'm having problems with the batting poking through....this is the first time this has happened. I'm using Arctic Fleece (it's like warm & natural) I have the smooth side touching the back. Any suggestions??

Sheena

Over The Top Quilting

Like Beth has stated you may have your batting upside down. I have had this happen to me when the batting wasn't upside down. Once in a while it is the fabric.

Go to a smaller needle. Maybe 3.5 instead of 4. Also with the ones I had problems with, the batting pokies disappeared with a wash but I was using 80/20 and not a poly which may not shrink like a cotton mix.

Also a large embroidery Needle with a soft tip is useful with poking the batting back in if some are large.

Otherwise, Start Frogging and Begin again. I hope you don't have to do that. lol Good Luck

Some questions:

Is this your batt or hers?

Is the backing for the quilt a quality fabric or is it a loose weave?

How far into it are you?

If it was me;), before I frog all that stitching out, I would talk it over with the customer.

I have never used Arctic Fleecebut I have used Warm & Natural.

As I recall from a Dawn Cavanaugh class, W&N batting is laid dirty side up. I don't know if that is the same for the Arctic Fleece.

For those who haven't seen it, Warm Co has a brief FAQ page which answers the pre-wash, which side up, and other ?s.

Thank you everyone for your replies. My client brought in her own batting it may have even been another brand. I was not too far into the quilt...just has the top basted and one side.

I flipped the batting and switched to a 3.5 needle and it seems to have done the trick. I knew I count on this group for the answer!!!

Thanks again

Sheena

Over The Top Quilting

Sound like the batting was upside down. I can never which is the correct way. So I use a scientific method of testing. I use a corsage pin and poke through both sides. The side that the pin goes through smoothly is the side that goes up. That took care of having that problem.

Myrna

To me pookies appear only when the backing is too loose, or too soft. Ferm batting fabric does not give me pookies, but sometimes a customer provides the backing fabric, and after checking the quality, I always warn them for pookies if the backing fabric is too soft or too loose. Sometimes they don't mind, but they were warned up front, and sometimes they get another backing, firmer this time. You can always warn your customers up front, next time they will look better for fermer fabric.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Archived