a labor of love -- quilting Grandma's quilt

I don't know what to call this thread. It's a question about quilting an old quilt that is in need of repair and TLC. My grandmother made this quilt at least 30 years ago, and it may be older than that, but it was given to us when our younger son was just a little thing and he's 33 now.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2183517450052995396IHqmcc

I just uploaded a photo of it to webshots. I don't use it anymore because I want to repair it before it gets any worse. It was hand stitched to foundation squares (probably an old sheet), lined with an old worn blanket, backed with flannel, and tied with embroidery floss. I washed and dried it by machine many times. My sons loved it. Our pets loved it. My husband loved it and I loved it. It has been loved nearly to death. Some of the pieces of fabric have disintegrated and are nothing more than hanging shreds. I can replace those. But I want to quilt it on the longarm so it will last a little longer and I will be able to use it. So my question is this: Can I put it on the longarm as one unit and quilt it? Or should I take it apart?

(I probably already know the answer. <g>)

I quilted an antique string quilt like your several years ago... attached picture....it was really heavy with the foundation piecing so I used a very thin batting and just did a large stipple all over the quilt....it was quilting in one piece and it went very fast.

Yes, I have thought about it. I think about lots of quilts. I want Bernina or Pfaff or Viking or somebody to invent the sewing machine that reads my mind and then makes the quilt while I think about other quilts to make.

No, seriously, I have thought about it and would love to do it. One of these days I will, but not until after I repair hers. I even cut out some muslin foundation squares. But it won't be as good as my Grandma's because SHE didn't make it. Isn't it funny how we get so attached to certain things. I didn't have a blankie as a child, but my DIL and her sister did. And my DIL still sleeps with hers to this day, even though it is just a pile of yarn.

I have some foundation pieced blocks that my grandmother left - but my grandma had poor vision as well as I think she must have been color blind! Whew, some of the colors!! I don't want to pitch them out.....but I don't want to put them together either.

Archived