Feathers

I LOVE feathers. You all are SO good at them, and I love what they do to borders especially. I'd like to know if you trapunto your feathers, and how you do that, if it takes a whole lot of time. Or whether you just quilt them in and they end up looking trapunto'd in your pic's because of the lighting or something. So many of your pictures look trapunto'd. I am going to practice doing them on my DSM so I can use them on the auction quilt. I hope it goes as well as with a LA, but expect it probably won't be as spectacular.

Thanks for sharing!

Good topic, Patty! I aspire to be a feather queen! I truly do not like marking patterns though so mine would have to be freeform and not so perfect as we see with the computer guided feathers. Lol! Maybe that will be my niche..........wild feathers!

Patty if you go browse my webshots you will see that I love feather borders.

Nope I have never done trapunto on the feathers. I usually use Hobbs 80/20 bating which has a nice loft without being too much loft. what makes my feathers puff nicely is that I usually do a tight fill around them. Whenever you have a batting with a bit of loft and quilt an area not to tight and then do a tight fill around it will puff a bit.

I do have a machine traupnto in the works. I have done two of them the one called Chaseing Rainbows, and a turtle baby quilt for Dianna. They do not really look trapunto in the photos though but if you saw the quilts you would see the extra loft in the trapunto part.

I haven't looked a Sherry's book, but Anita Shackleford has a great book on feathers. It is not designed with LA'ing in mind, but gives you great ideas and the principals around designing good feathers.

I have trapuntoed feathers by using Airtex batt with water soluble thread and cutting way the excess then using another batt for the quilt. An easier way is to use a wool batt and quilt heavily the areas you don't want to be puffy.

As for good feathering...practice, practice and practice. I love feathers and do them as often as I can.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, Va

Archived