design help for tablerunner

Yes, I would have her fix the piecing error.  It detracts.  This is the peeled back patchwork technique, and is meant to be dimensional.  I would do a petal shape in the flower petals, rounding off the squareness a bit.  Maybe echo it once and put in veins.  On the leaves, I would just follow the outside leaf shape and avoid the dimensional area in the center.  So basically, up the outer curve of the leaf, down beside the curved dimensional stem in the center with some veins along the stem...mirror on the other side.  Your favorite fill in the black..swirly random feathers is my favorite.

Pretty wallhanging!

Yes, fix the bad block and then think hard about how much stitching you want to do. Keep in mind that while it should be beautiful, the piecing is what the class is all about, not the quilting. You'll do a fabulous intricate quilting job, which will gratify you and your piecer. BUT, will you frustrate half the students who'll try to match the quilting on their DSM (or who can't afford to pay to have it quilted)? I say keep it simple and do stitching that is pretty and easy to copy. Don't dumb it down, but don't swirl fancy feathers all over it or the ladies will end up with UFOs because they can't make theirs as beautiful as the one in class.

(The other side of the coin is make it intricate and fabulous---and then prepare yourself to have 12 new customers who want you to quilt theirs "just like the class sample"!) ;)

The previous is opinion and not much quilting advise, so here is an actual answer to your question. :D

The flowers and leaves--Lynn gives great advice to keep it simple and avoid stitching over the peeled-back 3-D elements. But stitch close to them so they are more prominent. The black background can be fabulous feathers or your favorite curvy filler. If it was mine to do, I'd SID the border seam and run a line of stitching a quarter inch outside the SID to make a prominent "frame". Then I'd stitch quarter-inch apart piano keys, making a miter in the stitching in the corners. That will flatten the border while still holding interest. The quarter-inch frame will enclose the center and let the pretty inside piecing show up more.

Have fun and finished pictures, please!

Archived