Visiting Portland, OR

I'm going to be visiting my DD in PDX in mid-August.  Any suggestions of things to do?  She will be in school for part of the time I'm there so I'm interested in all suggestions - quilt-related or not?  I know I want to visit the test Rose Gardens  in Washington Park.  Any other suggestions?

TIA!

Shout out to the Moxies! Set a date for a group lunch or dinner somewhere and we can get as many together as can make it. A majority of members live in the Portland area.

Other places to visit?

Powell Books

Food Trucks

A walking tour of downtown architecture

Fabric Depot

Pineneedles Quilt Shop

Asian Museum

The Japanese Garden next to the Rose Test Garden

Antique shops everywhere

OMSI Oregon Museum of Science and Industry

There's a show at the Convention Center in August. I'll check for dates. Yes, the Quilt!Knit!Stitch! show is August 14-16 if that fits your visit.

Thanks Linda! Yes, I will be there that week. Moxies and any other Forum friends - I'd love to meet up with as many of you as possible. This is my first visit to Portland so I am not familiar with good places to meet for lunch/coffee etc. I arrive August 9th and will be heading to the coast 10th and 11th with my DD. Then she is in school for the next 5 days. I'm heading back to VT on 19th

Which city at the coast are you visiting?  Will you have a car?  I love the Columbia River Gorge.

There is a pink tour bus that will take you lots of places in town.  I believe that it's pay once, get off where ever you like and then hop back on when you are finished.

I think that Linda mentioned the Japanese garden, not too far from the rose test garden, and the Oregon Zoo.  Lots of great hiking paths up there as well.  Also the Chinese garden in old town.  Come hungry for visiting the food carts.

What do you like to do?  Are you interested in hiking? Listing of all the quilt shops?

Pittock Mansion is amazing, lots of great shopping in the Pearl district.  Great people watching in Hawthorne district.  If you are here on a Sat. or Sunday, Saturday market is great fun.  All kinds of crafts, all locally made.

Feel free to drop me a line, I'm a local person and would love to visit.

Beth

The Chinese Garden has a really nice tea house that could be a good meeting place (except there is an admission charge for the Garden). Multnomah Falls is beautiful and worth the trip just for that, but if you have time and transportation, a drive on the Old Columbia River Highway through the Columbia River Gorge will take you to Multnomah Falls and Several other places of interest (Such as Crown Point, Latourell Falls, and several other water falls).

If you like sweets...there is the "famous" Voodoo Donuts or the wonderful Salt and Straw Ice Cream shops.

Portland has more than its share of great (not necessarily expensive) restaurants too. Oh and Portland is a Coffee roasting and Beer Brewing "Mecca".

I also want to second the recommendation of Powell's books. One whole city block of bookstore just at the main store.

The Portland Art Museum is wonderful too.

Lots of nice little quilt shops, many will have their favorites. We also have Fabric Depot, a really large fabric store... Not by any means all quilting fabrics.

Thanks everyone - great suggestions! 

I will have a car for the first week and we are planning on visiting Cannon Beach and that part of the coast.  A drive out to Multnomah Falls and the Columbia River Gorge sounds like a 'must see' too. 

Quilt shops always need to be on my list so I would love recommendations.

My husband just got back last night from his visit and loved all the food carts!  He and our DD also visited the Willamette Valley and the Aquarium at Newport.

Archived