Placing a panto inside a border in QP

BarbW

I'm fairly new to Quilt Path and am sure this has been discussed before, but can't seem to easily find the answer. I'm comfortable with doing E2E pantos with QP, but now have a customer who wants an all over design quilted inside the quilt borders. As with most quilts, it's not exactly square, so using the standard placement for E2E pantos, (measuring height & width) won't work.

How do I place the design so that each row fits completely within the quilt center AND is placed correctly under the one above it?

Would much appreciate any suggestions or advice.

OK, no one else has responded, so I'll give you my take on it.  I have not tried doing this yet, but this is how I would do it.  And there might be other ways and better ways.  We're all still learning at one stage or another.

As long as you've:

1.  Calibrated -- known as screen calibration in QP (http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/topic/35539-step-by-step-instructions-for-quilt-path-pantos-i-need-testers/)

2.  And set your Roll diameter in Virtual Long Arm,(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9eONlhn34mBalYtU05MZHQ1NVk/preview)

You can make your design fit quite accurately.  If you have not done either, I would strongly recommend you do both.  Both are important for all your quilting measurements.

Once you've created your design, instead of quilting as rows, as you would do for a standard panto, you might try quilting as a single design.  Then you can place the design using four points. You will only need to create a few rows instead of enough rows to cover the entire quilt.  And it's really nice when the design starts stitching from the top.  This makes for easy placement.  Because when using Quilt as Pattern, you won't get the NEXT ROW placement option, so you're on your own for placement.  But there is always TRACE.  I love trace.  Also, if you create more than one row of the design, you can measure the distance between each of those rows and use that for placing your next row of patterns.

I hope this makes sense and that it helps.  Others may have some other suggestions as well.

Wow, Shirley, so that's what Border to Border means.  I thought it was just another term for Edge to Edge.  Learned something new.  Thanks.  

Of course, I know there are some E2E designs that also can be quilted without partials on the sides.

I've been thinking on this. And an expert might tell you to use the Virtual Long Arm feature to do that center. Although I've used the VLA a few times for borders, I'm not very comfortable with it yet. I find it a bit awkward. But I think you'd be able to design the entire center of the quilt and then send it to quilt and VLA would help with the placement.

Might be something you want to explore. Angela has posted several tutorials on her Threadwaggle blog that relate to VLA.

Archived