~Business Experience~

I was wondering.........those of you who've been in business for a while, how many of you have had to deal with a bounced check from a customer?

And what did you do.....and what did you do if they didn't pay after that? OR has this happened???

I did get my first bounced check, I rang the CU, she told me what happened and send me another check-it was a cashiers check and it came within 2 days.............She appologized and wants to know if I will still take quilts from her.

Tish

I had one bounced check...... I called her, she came with cash plus the bank charges. I would take checks from her again. Sometimes things just happen.....it helped that I know her personally. It was a bit embarrassing for me and for her, I think!

Life happens to people. It is your business and you get to decide how to run it. Trust your intuition--I bet with her next top she will pay with cash just to keep you as her longarmer!!

I haven't had a bounced check (yet!) but I have let quilts go out the door with partial payment. So far that has worked, but I know those customers pretty well (as in "I know where you live"!!!!) Good luck, Tish.

Linda Rech

I did have one bounced check and the customer was the one that broght it to my attention right away. She was totally embarassed and life went on. I did tack on the $7 charge my bank charged me with to her quilt which was only paritaly paid for. She was fine with that!

Guess if you are afriad of bounced checks you can always require a deposit before you begin work..................at least you will have partial payment if the final check bounces. I did require a deposit from one person I am doing a restoration on an antique top for. She sent me a check for half the amount.

I've had several, but each were paid for right away when sent through a second time.... I think most people just have those once in a while oop's.

However, I've only had one customer who was really bad at giving me bad checks so I finally got to know what were her pay days and I would deliver her quilts on the days I knew she was getting paid and would deliver and run as fast as I could to the bank to cash it before to many others hit the bank. I know she was difficut to work with, but she was just one of those scattered people and I sometimes think they need the extra hand to just get by with daily life.

Now when she sends me quilts, since I have moved away from her...I make sure the check clears the bank before I mail the quilt.

Archived