Repairing a quilt

Ok those of you in the know.  Have any of you ever repaired a quilt for a customer?  I am talking one that is shredded through in several places.  I already know that I will need to replace the backing and the batting but there are pieces of the log cabin pattern that are completely gone and will need to be replaced.  I cannot take the quilt apart because if I tried to do that the quilt will fall apart completely.  The gentleman said his grandmother made it for him when he was a kid and he just wants it repaired no matter the cost and to do the best that I can.  I need advice in the worst sort of way with this top repair.

Thank in advance for your words of wisdom.

Mary

You'll need to find a way to stabilize the fragile and disintegrating fabric on the top. 

The fragility of the entire piece means it can't be used for anything but display and admiration, so cover the top with a neutral tulle that allows the top to be contained without repair and still lets the color and pattern be seen. Cover the top with tulle, add a very light backer and don't worry about the batting unless there are chunks missing where it escaped through holes in the top. Hand-tack (like you'd tie a quilt) at seam intersections so the old quilt, the tulle and the protective new backer are connected. See what the best tacking spacing is so it lies flat and looks normal. Closer tacking will help keep it flat and contain the bad spots. When you finish stabilizing it all, trim the backer so it's a tad smaller than the back-side binding edge. Turn under the edge of the new backer and press. Wrap the tulle around the binding without making it too tight, and tuck the tulle under a turned-under edge of the backer. Hand-stitch the backer and the tulle on the back side, catching a bit of the original backer if you think it can take the stress.

This is a "full envelope" technique that encloses all the quilt and adds a layer of new material on the outside, keeping the integrity of the quilt while protecting it from more wear and loss of fabric.

Another option is to make new log cabin blocks, matching the colors as best you can. There are sites that can tell you how to "age" new fabric if you need a faded look. Age the fabric first, pre-shrinking the fabric, and then build the blocks. Applique the new block over the old one. The surrounding fabric will be fragile, so you'll be working carefully. Then whatever quilting stitches used will need to be duplicated. Let your customer know that while it's repaired, the older parts are still in danger of disintegration, so display is better than use. This assumes you think replacing the backer and batting is OK and just will lift the top off and lay it back on the new parts as it is.

Good luck saving this treasure!

Just a thought.  I have never done this, but what about stabilizing the thinned fabrics with a very light iron on stabilizer.  Since you are removing the backing and batting you will have complete access to the back.  You can applique new fabric over the worst of the  shattered fabric areas.  If he wants to use the quilt this may be an option.  Good Luck, I hope you can restore his treasure.  Be sure to let us know how this turns out! :)

We have repaired a couple of very old tops with the fusible stabilizer with excellent results. You can't even see the stabilizer when finished. The printable fabric works well if you have a matching good piece to copy for the missing pieces. It's very rewarding to see a top saved.

What a great suggestion.  Copying the original fabric into your printer and then printing it on fabric is a terrific idea.  I've also repaired old quilts and stabilized the back of the entire quilt with light weight fusible stabilizer.  It works great. 

If you are going to be printing off the matching fabric or using new fabric that is as close to the original as you can get, I also recommend making several swatches of the repair fabric and tucking behind a quilt label or large pocket on the back of the quilt.  That way if there are ever any repairs to be made again in the future, you already have the fabric you will need to make the repairs.  I do this on new quilts too, but so far have never had to repair any of them.  : )

You can also copy a part of the log cabin that has the colors you need for the missing pieces,

and then add seam allowances and copy onto printer fabric, then use it.. it will have the

same fadedness as the original.

I've done this on one quilt, just a couple of places, and it worked well.

Just remember, each piece, if sewn side by side, will need to be segregated, and seam allowances added then,

Paint worked well for me.  I don't know about others.

Oh, I also used the HP printer.  ironing makes the colors almost permanent.. won't prevent fading over the years.

Ding Ding, it just occured to me, you could use the copied pieces as one printed part, and make it look original with quilting.

Hmmm  I need to find something to try that on.   Good Luck.

Archived