Turbo Winder and tension markings?

I use a turbo winder to wind my bobbins.  I'd like to be able to change the tension as needed and easily reset it back to what I use for different threads.  That way I could keep a log of specific settings for specific threads.  My turbo winder has no markings on the tension screw to be able to do this.  Do the new turbo winders have markings and is there a part I could purchase to put a "Marked" screw (or whatever that's called)  on my turbo winder?  It just seems like that would make changing tensions fast and easy.

If a marked screw isn't available is there some other way to mark, at least, my original setting that most of my threads are wound at?  Thanks.

Use a Sharpie to mark a dot on the outside edge of the flat side of the tension adjuster knob. Mark another dot corresponding on the side of the base. Mark a second dot on the base where your looser adjustment needs to be set. If you're absolutely sure where the two settings need to be, you can use a Dremel tool to score permanent marks. Hopefully you don't need to adjust a full turn of the knob. Otherwise you'll need to remember "one full turn counterclockwise and then stop here"---which is too much for me to handle!  :)

I assume you're winding some invisible thread bobbins. Have you tried to wind them using the "normal" setting? I'd only adjust the winder if you have breakage. After I found the sweet spot on my winder I never touched it again.

There's not any way to devise a tension "dial". What you might try would be a note pad beside your winder, set the winder knob flush with the winder stem, mark a line beginning on the knob and extending off onto the case. Record the number of turns you make in or out from "flush"  setting for each thread you want to track.

It's a lot of work if you are so inclined.

I have not had to change mine since it was first set, because any tension changes I need to make are done once the bobbin is in the case, not while winding the bobbin. I use a towa gauge which makes it easy to maintain tension. :)

Use a Sharpie to mark a dot on the outside edge of the flat side of the tension adjuster knob. Mark another dot corresponding on the side of the base. Mark a second dot on the base where your looser adjustment needs to be set. If you're absolutely sure where the two settings need to be, you can use a Dremel tool to score permanent marks. Hopefully you don't need to adjust a full turn of the knob. Otherwise you'll need to remember "one full turn counterclockwise and then stop here"---which is too much for me to handle!  :)

I assume you're winding some invisible thread bobbins. Have you tried to wind them using the "normal" setting? I'd only adjust the winder if you have breakage. After I found the sweet spot on my winder I never touched it again.

Yes, I'm winding the invisible thread - that's why I wanted to be able to set it back to my "normal" setting because that seems to work for everything else.   I'll give it a try winding the invisible on my normal setting first and if that doesn't work I'll try marking it.  Hmmmm, maybe APQS should come up with a "Marked" tension adjuster know - wouldn't  that be nice.  Thanks to all.

Mercedes:  I wind all my bobbins myself.  I use Superior's Bottom Line most of the time, which is a 60 wt (TEX 23 I think), and that is what my bobbin winder is set up for.  On rare occasions, I will use a TEX 40 thread in my bobbin.  I have a separate bobbin case and separate bobbins for the TEX 40, and I also have a separate bobbin winder for it.  Since your problem only involves invisible thread, consider getting yourself another bobbin winder that you dedicate solely to that thread.

You can buy a good industrial bobbin winder for under a $100.  That small cost wasn't worth the inconvenience of readjusting the bobbin winder whenever I want to change size thread.  Actually I bought my second winder used for much less than that, but I doubt you could often find one as cheap.  Think about it.  Jim

I loosened the tension half a turn on the turbo winder for the invisible thread (marked everything before I made the change).  I quilted all day without any issues and didn't have to adjust any tensions on the machine at all.  I absolutely love the Monopoly invisible thread - easy to work with and runs nicely in my machine.  I finished the quilt and will be working on the binding tomorrow.  It was a very productive day.   Thanks everyone for all the feedback - made it easy to do.

Archived