Question regarding machine orientation and natural light

I know you folks are an artistic bunch. I have a question regarding natural lighting. The room where my machine will be has a north-facing window, and a west-facing window. Machine will be positioned across the room in an east-west fashion. I plan to do more freemotion quilting rather than pantos. So . . . which direction would be best for me to place the machine? Free-motion side facing north window, or panto side facing north window? Hope this makes sense.

I'm not sure what will work.  My window is south facing (but a basement window)  and it really makes no difference for my quilting.  I end up closing my blinds and keeping a side light on for casting better shadows.   I was so excited for natural light, but it doesn't make much difference for me.  Hopefully others will chime in with better advice!  

The one thing I can tell you is that if you have other people in your house, the thing that was important to me was to have my body facing the doorway (or closely to that)  so that I could sense and see people in my peripheral when they come into the studio.   I also have my kids yell and stomp down the stairs so that I can hear people coming.    The first few times they just appeared and I jumped about 10 feet in the air!  LOL 

Position the machine in whichever orientation gives you access to what you want. If you want a view, choose towards the window. If you decide which side you'll be using most, then decide if you want to face towards the wall or towards the center of the room. If you want to be able to reach tools, thread, stencils, etc, make sure there's room for those within easy access. Natural lighting isn't usually a consideration when using the big machines. The lighting on the machine does all the work, unless you want side light for "blind" quilting. Natural lighting is preferred for taking photos though---so configuring for picture taking might be considered.

Archived