Marked Crosshatch?

I have another question for you folks.  When you are crosshatching do you mark your quilts first and then do the crosshatch with rulers or do you just use marked rulers?  If you do mark your quilts do you remove the marks as soon as you finish a block or do you wash the quilt after you complete the entire quilt...for a personal quilt and the same question for a quilt you are doing for someone else? 

Ok, that was more than one question but I'm getting old and forgetful so we'll just say I forgot how many questions I asked for.

Thanks

David

I prefer to mark the quilt, but many people don't. On a personal quilt I use water erase marker. On a customer quilt I use air erase. I tell them I have used it and how to remove it. The reason I mark is to check to make sure my spacing is good before I quilt.

Hi David,

Since I do a lot of crosshatching I'll try to answer your questions...since I always like to keep my rulers on the sides or front of my hopping foot, I like to work from the bottom up...so if I have a small area I just use rulers.  If I am crosshatching a border or a whole quilt, I like to stabilize it and then start at the bottom and work my way up with rulers and no marking.  If I need to work my way down a quilt I then use the air erase markers to mark my lines and then stitch them and they disappear on their own so no washing of the quilt is needed...Linda Rech's crosshatch rulers are what I use the most for large areas.

Archived