Where to put the seam on whole cloth

I have purchased some thinner washable linen that I'm going to use for the Angel Baby Quilt.  Problem is it's not wide enough to do the quilt in one piece.  As a matter of fact I couldn't find any nice fabric wide enough to do this quilt.  The quilt stores have backing fabric however finding a white is almost impossible and if you do, the fabric is not of good quality.  

I liked the look of this linen in a quilt I saw in a shop so they're going to order me some yardage.

My question is, where do the I put the seams on the front and back so it will look the best it can?   TIA

I've found (years ago) 108" wide white cotton sateen. It's so soft and beautiful to quilt on.

As for where to put the seams with your linen--I don't think it matters. Options would be one seam through the center, one 40" wide piece running top to bottom with two seams of added fabric on the sides, or a big 40" square in the middle with added borders all the same width to get the size you need. Whatever you do on the front, offset the back seams somehow so they don't line up. Do the instructions have any advice for seam placement?

If the linen is thin, your seam allowances are going to show through on the front, so pick the starkest white batting you can find. Have you thought about an under-fabric between the top and the batting? See how thin the linen is when you get it to decide if you need a lining. Just a thought.

It will be so beautiful with linen.  :wub:

I am making that same quilt right now. The origianal was done on raw silk from Dharma. That is what I ordered, but it was still a little short. Pattern calls for 55" and my piece was 47. I just adjusted my feathers on the sides to make it fit.

Archived