Recent finish

Here is my most recent quilt top finished. I recently purchased the swirls Circle Lord boards and was going to quilt this top using that design, but am second guessing that. There are a lot of open spaces to quilt. I would need to use a stencil as I'm not good at freehand feathers, etc. Any suggestions would be helpful.

post-4645-0-44402200-1428863781_thumb.jpg

That's a very pretty top!  If it were mine, I would do CC's in all of the small squares, cursive letter l's pointing towards the squares. and feathers in the yellow.  Can you do curls?  Hooked feathers are a lot like curls.  If you used matching thread, the bobbles wouldn't show near as much.  I found the best way for me to improve a quilting skill is to just dive in and do it. There's also no shame in marking before stitching.  Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you decide to quilt.

The top is too pretty for an E2E, it deserves custom quilting.  I'm a newbie so I wouldn't take my advice seriously, but it looks like Spring to me.  I see FMQ blooms in the yellow negative space, and the chain in the white imitates lattice so I would do the CCs in the small squares, then do a FMQ flower in the center yellow squares elongated out to the white small squares (one large flower using the center of the yellow square out to the white squares).  Then I get stuck with the rest.  Can't wait to see what you do.  Please share!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/foreverdesigning/14683757402/

Here's a link....I hope it works to a quilt on which I quilted some cc's, otherwise known as continuous curves.  Some folks free hand the arcs , but I like to use an appropriate sized circle template or curved ruler to get uniform curves.  There are some online tutorials on how to do them so you can travel a lot without having to start and stop

Archived