Quilting The blue collection

I need some advice. I've been asked to quilt "The Blue collection" by Maggie Walker Design. It is a very busy quilt and it looks almost like it's solid applique. I think that I've read somewhere that you should not quilt on the actual applique. I looked at it on the website which doesn't get the picture real close up.

Has anybody quilted this? What would you suggest? I'm not sure I'm good enough to quilt this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Some times you need to add a little quilting to an applique. It depends on how large an idividual applique patch is and what it is, for example a leaf applique always looks better when the quilter stitches a vein through the leaf it adds dimension and breaks up the large applique patch. But with something as small as a little berry (round) applique patch then no you wouldn't quiltover it. You need to use your gut instincts. also it depends on what type of back ground fill you plan on using around the applique...is it formal looking like the mc tavishing fill or is it a simple echoing or even plain meandering?

Theresa is right you need to post a picture if you want detailed help.

Joann

http://www.myhandstothee.com/index.aspx?page=34&productnum=BC-BOM

Go to that site and you will see the whole quilt. It has vases, jars, etc in blue throughout the quilt, a 14 block series. If it were me, I'd definitely use coordinating/matching color thread per each piece/area you quilt. It is sooo busy, i'd hate to distract/over-do from the design itself. Ea block probably something different, echo..small meander...cross-hatching...etc. whatever fits in ea block. Have fun. Looks like you could either out-do yourself, or it will out-do you! Should be fun! Definitly post pics when your done, if you can. I'd love to see it completed. Good luck to you...just relax, and let the quilting flow!

What a co-incidence...a quilter brought a quilt to me the other day and showed me that she is about to start this blue quilt, she had all the fabrics to show me and was all excited. I'll keep an eye out on this post to get ideas for what might be coming my way in the future!

As to quilting on applique...I don't mind if it's hand-applique but if it's done with fusible I warn the quilter that any stitching would leave holes that may not fill in. So far, I haven't had to deal with big pieces so my quilters haven't had a problem with that....this quilt though, I don't know since most of the quilt is filled with applique :(

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your help. The web site that I went to is www.maggiewalkerdesign.com. All of her quiltes are heavily appliqued. Very pretty but not something that I would do. I like the traditional looking quiltes.

I will try to look at the quilt before I make a descision. I really appreciate all of your comments, I didn't realize that if it has fusible that there could be holes that show. I'll find out how she did it. And I don't know how to post pictures but if I decide to try this I will also learn to post a picture.

Okay, now that I've seen a picture I'm full of ideas. I would outline each vase, then use different textures on them, similar to what might be found on real stoneware pieces. I would SID around all the little blue blocks that form the borders. I would outline the tree and leaves and add real life texture to those. The wider border with the tall vines, I would outline the vines and flowers, then use echo or McTavish to fillin the rest of the yellow.

Hope this helps.

wow!! that's perfect:)

Thank you so much. Those are great ideas, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I'm going to see if I can see the actual quilt but now I'm thinking maybe I could do this.

I'll let you know.

The quilt is very pretty and I would really enjoy quilting it.

Here is what I would do:

McTavish the background and then do simple quilt in the ditch around the appliqe with maybe a little extra quilting here and there to add definition.

As for not quiltng on the applique........................I totally disagree with that.......................don't we quilt over piecing all the time. Quilting in applique can add beautiful detail and definition and useing threads to match (although you might want to charge extra for that) can really up the Wow factor of the quitling. The downside of not qiulting in the applique can mean that it is too puffy.

Archived