ISO design ideas

I need some help in designs for this quilt.  It is for a man and I can't come up with anything to put in the 4 inch gold squares that would coordinate with the 3 inch borders around the blocks.  Or maybe an alternate  design block in  the borders where they meet.  I am not good at design give me a panto that I can follow :wacko:.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also it is not to be heavily quilted and no thread changes. 

post-3454-0-95316400-1432236902_thumb.jpg

I just finished watching Kimmy Brunner's Craftsy class on using templates - she has a star design that you would be able to stitch in those squares without any marking.  The class has lots of other good stuff too.

Carol

I just completed a similar pattern for a client and the quilt was also for a man.  I did a single gender neutral motif- not so frilly but with interest- taken from Gina Perkes book Mastering the Art of Longarm Quilting.  Using my printer, I enlarged the chosen motif to the size of the larger block, in my case 12", and stitched the same motif in each square.  I  made templates for the individual features of the motif, and marked the quilt as I went with tailor's chalk, and free motioned each motif using my markings as reference points.  In the borders we chose figure eights, but I notice each square in yours has technically two borders.  A complementary design bordered from the motif may fit nicely into the double wide border. 

The end look was stunning complementing the quilting with the motif stitching.

Charlotte

Charlotte, do you have pictures of what you did?  I can't quite visualize this but it sounds like it would work.  Yes there is a double border formed by the blocks.  I don't have a lot of time to work on this. Thanks for responding so quickly. 

I do not take pictures of customers' quilts - too time consuming for me.  

Some of your long arm quilting books will have examples of motifs.  OR Google motifs and find a wide assortment some with specific suggestions for borders. 

The book by Gina Perkes is a must for our resource library. 

Charlotte

Janice, place a little dot in the center of each gold block.  Working out from that dot, create a curve up to one of the corners, then an opposite curve back down to the dot.  This will create a melon shape.  Do this four times and you will get a design in the gold block, then move out and CC the blue triangles, and the white triangles. That will put you out at the sashing and you can do whatever design you are using to get to the next block. Then just start with CC to get yourself to the next gold block.  You should be able to stitch most of it without breaking the thread.

I can't draw very well with Paint, but you might get the idea from this picture

post-1022-0-44312900-1432248094_thumb.jpg

Hi Janice!

I like what Teresa has drawn and it's something I would do if they wanted "not too much quilting". Another CC design similar to Teresa's is to mark a square on-point in the block. Mark diagonal lines to make a square. The CCs will go from point to point and make a similar petal shape but the outside CCs will make a circle that fills the square. If you have a circle template that is the same diameter as the square, marking will be easy and quick. Use it to also mark the inside CCs or just eyeball it. (I'm flattered that you "called" for me!  :P )

Thanks Teresa and Linda.  Those are some of the ideas that I have already thought of.  The problem is....something in the sashings that goes with what I do in the block.  I have absolutely no ideas for the sashings, not even something I can't do.  Any thoughts on the sashings, even something that combines two sashings together, or singly?

repeat those melon shapes on angles to make "orange peel"  or do backwards cursive C then forwards cursive C, then backwards and so on. Or if you use Linda's idea and make the on point square in the yellow square, just do a row of X's in the border and it will create a diamond type design.

Archived