brake pad issues

I haven't seen this mentioned or I wouldn't ask but I am having some gripping problems with the brake. The velcro pads are coming unglued and scrunching up and making it hard to "get a grip"! I had to completely loosen up the screw assembly to be able to grab the velcro and straighten it out but it still isn't staying very well. Am I going to have to take the bars off and the brake off and put more of the stuff on? Can I get more stuff?

....and it seems I am not the only one this has happened to. I will try to replace the velcro or at least try to super glue them to the "brakes". Hopefully, I will be able to fix the grip (or lack of) problem.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Laurie,

Your velcro should not be scrunching up. Do you release the break when you advance? You need to release it in order to avoid the problem you are having. I don't loosen mine completely so that everything starts to unroll on its own, just loosen enough so that the rollers turn without any pressure.

As far as it not gripping. You can tighten up the brake if you have not already found this in the previous posts. Release the brake and then at the bottom of the wooden block you can tighten up that collar a bit. This puts more pressure on the clamps as the brake is engaged, but you still need to release the brake slightly as you advance.

You don't need to remove the rollers to remove the brake. Loosen up the collar mentioned earlier at the bottom of the clamp and you can rotate the wooden block and then remove the clamps to fix your velcro.

Patty

Thanks, Patty! I'll give that a try. I do loosen the brake to advance but I also tighten it up then tap the pedal slightly to take up that final bit of slack.

Yes, I do leave the sandwich with some slack and not drum tight.

I was having this issue mostly with the last quilt I had on 81 x 81 and fairly heavily quilted.....the backing roller would not stay in place.

I'll make the adjustments to the brake clamp and see if it improves.....

Mine eventually scrunched up too. I never seemed to get the right amount of tension to hold the quilt, especially if it was a large quilt, and even more so if I had to turn it.

I've found a different kind of solution for this problem and an easy one for me. I cut a small piece of that foam stuff you put in your drawers or under a rug, wrapped it around the area and put a piece of tape on top to hold it in place. Works great. I've had to replace that a couple of times as it wears away, but it's cheap and easy to take care of.

~~ Eva H.

Archived