Another 50 year old hand pieced quilt top

I have a stack of these that my wife's grandmother had made, and then her mom gave them to us for "me" to quilt. With each one comes an excessive amount of frustration, dirty words, and heavy sighs before I even get it on the frame. This particular one belongs to my wife's aunt, which in turn is being handed down to a nephew. Custom quilters could do wonders with this, but seeing as how my brain/eye/hand coordination don't all operate as a team, I'm always forced to use pantos. Since this was for a man, I chose a design that wasn't too flashy and (that I've never used before). The pattern criss crosses itself constantly; and not even having completed the first row, I've already traveled back into my quilting twice. My machine isn't stitch regulated, so this makes it that much more enjoyable picking out stitches. I'll be glad to say farewell to this one.

Sorry you're having problems. Wine? Chocolate? Some things help with your outlook... :P

A hint for those crossing lines on the panto--mark the crossover with a colored marker on the second pass and draw an arrow in the direction you're going. Sometimes marking both lines with contrasting colors and arrows works even better. Then the crossovers are obvious and eventually you get a rhythm going.

Sorry you're having problems. Wine? Chocolate? Some things help with your outlook... :P

A hint for those crossing lines on the panto--mark the crossover with a colored marker on the second pass and draw an arrow in the direction you're going. Sometimes marking both lines with contrasting colors and arrows works even better. Then the crossovers are obvious and eventually you get a rhythm going.

LOL, I must be on the right track. After the second wrong turn, I used a yellow highlighter for the crossing points. I'll finish picking out last night stitches and then give it another shot after my morning coffee.

They are beautiful quilts, and I know a lot of time and heart was put into making them, BUT...they're not square, they pucker, etc....and this one wasn't finished, so the borders and sashing area super thin inexpensive linen. To add to my own frustration, the backing (same inexpensive linen) wasn't large enough. We live in a small town, so we're limited on fabric selection. We bought a "nice" plaid pint at H______ L______ and got it home to find runners and all kinds of blemishes in it. Oh how I miss my old quilt shop in Texas.

It is lovely and to them it will be beautiful. For a family treasure such as this, the important things is that it is finished and can now be loved. I do a lot of antique quilts and they are always a "challenge" but I am slowly learning that I don't have to worry as much as I do about it being perfect. You are giving them a piece of their loved one to treasure.

And wine and chocolate always help, or so I've been told.

Archived