Questions on Needles for Compuquilters

Melody

Okay, In the last two weeks I have broken two needles using the Compuquilter....They were the ones in the yellow packages size 4.5 not sure of the name.

And it was directly on a joining of a seam that was thick. My question is....Are the Groz Beckert Titanium needles stronger??? Or do they do the same thing??? It just kills me though when they do break... This last time it was okay did'nt do anything but the first time it did fray the fabric on the quilt top and bottom and I was heartsick but Carol the client just laughed and said I did'nt like it anyway, I was just going to put it at the beach house for the grand kids to use so don't even worry about it! What a relief! Just was curious has anyone found needles that don't break that easily.

TIA

Hi Melody

What a great customer!

I only use size 4 and haven't had any problems. How thick are those seams, would it help to press them flat before quilting? Perhaps, you've had a bad packet of needles. I have far less needle breakage since using the CQ because it moves at a consistent speed unlike hand-guided but thats not the cause of your problem its the thick seams.

Good luck

Sue in Australia

Hi Melody,

I use Groz-Beckert Titanium needles exclusively with my CQ. I've never had a broken needle. I mostly use a size 20 (equivalent to 4.5) as I like the distinct stitches it produces. I've gone over thick seams with no trouble. Not only are they a lot stronger, they last many times longer than standard hardened steel or chromium needles, and they state that "the design of the needle reduces thread breakage and helps reduce skipped stitches." The ones that are for an APQS machine are: Groz-Beckert 134 SAN 6 Titanium. I buy them from Dan at Columbia River Quilting. I have heard one APQS dealer say that an APQS machine may need special timing for titanium. I don't know as I have CQ attached to an A-1. I hope this helps you. :)

Best Wishes,

Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor

cqdigi@charter.net

The timing on our machines is set to a 4.0 needle. I like 3.5 because there is a smaller needle hole, especially on batiks, backings that are dark and the tops are light (helps with the bearding issue when light batts are used). I usually don't have any problem with either size needle unless there is a very thick seam...you know how some of those star centers and points are...eegaads.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Okay, Since I broke the last needle that I THOUGHT that nothing happened....what happened is the Compuquilter has a little devil in it and its giving me fits. Now whenever I try to do needle up - needle down and the start or the end of the row I find that its slower than slow.... so slow in fact that the blip comes up saying that the needle is not in its upright position. I've turned the little 8 screw and it does'nt seem to be doing anything..... In fact I've turned it a couple of times and nothing!!! Any ideas what has happened???? I knew that I was asking for trouble trying to get this quilt done on Easter!!!LOL

Hi Melody

I'd put your No 8 screw back to where it was in this instance.

If I was working without CQ and my needle was slow to come up I'd adjust the no 8 pod. When working with CQ and getting the "needle not in the up position" message, I would increase the positioner dwell time on the yellow CQ machine set up page. Instructions are in the manual. I'd increase in increments of 0.25. Take note of your starting number so you have a reference.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Archived