Ugh, I'm already frustrated with free motion.....

I must have been hallucinating when I watched a video on cross hatching with applique. I could have sworn that the quilter needled up and jumped to the next line of stitching. Well ladies and gents, you can certainly cover a large block pretty quickly, but it takes twice as long to pick it all out.....since the bottom thread didn't hold.

Hi James,

When I jump over an applique, the best way for me is to do a couple of stitches in the same spot, at the end of the line of stitching, before going to the next start point. If the thread is thick, like omni, then I will tie a knot and bury the thread tails. Slow, I know, but still faster than frogging and restitching. 

Something else you could try to do is NOT jump over the applique.....stitch around it to the next line. You can circle around the applique and then all you have to do is to be sure to line up the lines directly across from each other. Crosshatching is very time consuming. The online videos make it look like it is a piece of cake, but I'm sure they are time edited! :D 

Debbie

Jackson Ga 

James look for Karen McTavish's way of doing cross hatching.  It works well.  I never start and stop I usually just travel around the applique.  If I plan it right I can do the one angle, travel that width around the applique and then going the other direction I fill the blanks so to speak.  I almost always SID first so it is usually 2 passes around the applique.

You can lessen the thick backtracking by using a thinner top thread, like so fine. However, you might want to practice on a play quilt sandwich so you can get the tension right.  I find that a thin slick thread needs a thread that grabs well in order to balance my tension. Most of the time I use omni on top and bottom line in the bobbin, but that combo could be reversed so the thinner thread was on top.

Debbie

Archived