What's wrong with this picture (hook retaining finger)

michele hester

I have had my millie for 3 years now, and this is the first time I have broken a needle and had to time my machine......so, this is the first time I have seen a hook retaining finger. This is what mine looked like when I removed it from the machine:

post-5698-0-08981700-1446422420_thumb.jpg

Because there are not visible scratches and it actually doesn't look damaged, I didn't think there was a problem....until I started trying to time the machine and couldn't figure out why the heck I couldn't get it to work. Finally, I looked up a photo of what the hook finger is supposed to look like:

post-5698-0-87726700-1446422564_thumb.jpeg

Gads!!!!

Hi Michele.  I will tell you that the finger only needs to be seated far enough into the slot to stop the rotation of the hook assembly. If it's in too far it will stop the passage of the thread and you won't be able to make a stitch. Mine looks like the bottom photo and the tooth at the end goes up. I have a Millie with the L bobbin. Do you perhaps have the M assembly?

I broke a needle a while back and my hook finger looked the same as yours.  My handy dandy husband heated it and straightened it and then we timed the machine and all has been well since.  I suppose I should buy a new one to have on hand, but since I haven't had any problems since (no broken needles lately), I just haven't done it.  I guess when I place my next order, I will order a hook finger just in case heating the old one weakened it. 

I had the same problem about a month and a half ago. Same shape of the hook finger. My APQS dealer bent it back in place and it has worked. I should reorder one to have on hand also. You're right Michele....the last photo is what it's supposed to look like. Good luck. I had to buy a new hook assembly and retime my machine.

Archived