Do I need professional help?

Do I need professional help? I would like to purchase a used machine. I pick up and re-essemble. Can this done without a professional? Is the manual really that good? I am trying to weigh weather to buy a used machine at a good price but set up is my husband and I, OR buy a new machine and pay the extra to have the seller set it up.

The savings could buy a lot of material and goodies.

But am I buying a headache?

Martha

I set up my Millie...it wasn't hard the directions are good....my husband didn't help me...besides he is all thumbs when it comes to assembly. I am the mechanic around the house:P I took the heavy parts out of the boxes to get them up the hairpin stairwell. Plus if you have any questions...APQS help is a phone call away....

When I bought my first machine....Gammill delivered and set it up. Could I have set it up? Yes. I think it took more time to disassemble and get it done the stairwell when I sold it...LOL...I did it later at night after quilting all day.

Good Luck,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Cheryl, Thanks so much for your imput. We have an easy entry way to get it upstairs. My husband is mechanicly inclined by uneasy about the set up and balance. I don't know how keen a dealer is to sending someone out if you don't buy the machine from them.

I do read a lot of postings saying that the APQS phone help is great.

Thanks

want tobe soon to be a newbie

Martha

I have had two different longarms, plus one home machine setup. All three times, my daughter and I put it together and set it up by ourselves. You will have no problem at all, especially if you have a handy husband. And as long as you have a level, you can get it balanced.

Yes, save the mucho bucks and buy it used! Clean all the parts as you take it apart and take photographs to help you remember what goes where. Even use masking tape and markers to help you remember the correct position of things. Karen McTavish and Sue Patten took apart the whole classroom of four machines in an afternoon at Houston. There's a manual that tells you everything to do to get it back together. The money saved will help you get set up with thread, pantos, stencils, marking pens, pre-wound bobbins, lighting over your machine, a few stitching guide tools, rack, cabinets, tape measure, chalk, books and DVDs, probably totalling about $2000 over a six month time period. Then there is always the micro drive handles, the Hartley Fence and it's templates, or the Circle Lord. Yes, please save money wherever you can and you'll be wise and have a lower investment dollar.

You're not buying a headache. There are pills for that. Solutions abound.

Vicki

Martha....

I should have mentioned I set up my Liberty too....it is very easy to get it level and balanced.

If I can do it...your DH can do it cuz he is probably handier than I am...I still can have those thumbs get in the way.:)LOL

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Martha........ not to be funny or anything...... well, you see, I want to purchase a longarm too, and I'm beginning to think I may need professional help. Yup. :D At least.... sometimes I think I need my head examined, imagining myself quilting other people's quilts for money, or even just THINKING I'd be able to do what some here have done. LOL!

On the serious side, it appear quilte a few people have assembled theirs themselves. I'm sure my DH will be happy to do that for me, but he never has time so I'm planning to have the company do that, or the person I buy it from used if they're in the area. I wish I were smart and strong enough to do it myself, but as it is I'm sure I'd do some damage to it maneuvering it before I know it. Not a good ice-breaker, dropping my new quilting buddy on the floor first thing, I shouldn't think. LOL! I'm going to need the best working relationship I've ever had, if I'm going to make any money at this. I'm such a newbie!

Good luck to you! I think Vicki and all are a great source of helpful information and have very good ideas. I'll have to remember that when I buy mine. Have fun!

Thanks everyone. If everything goes as planned I should have a Gammill very soon. We feel comfortable with tear down and set up because of your replies. My husband is being very supportive and I am very excited. I knew I would get someone willing to share their experience.

I knew it was a loaded question asking "Do I need professionsl help".......

Hopefully I will soon be adding my comments and questions about longarming.

Martha

;)

Archived