Multiple Users on APQS Machine? Good or Bad

kwiltykim

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board and am doing market research prior to opening a quilt/needlework shop. I know in our area that there are a lot of machine quilters, and the shops that do have a longarm machine have a hard time either a) finding time to use it or B) hiring someone to run it. I'm considering possibly "leasing" the machine out to customers to quilt their own quilts. I know in the beginning of the longarm craze...tension was a touchy subject and the machines really didn't take too kindly to more than one user. How are the APQS machines as far multiple users? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks! :)

Kim

Sorry Kim... No experience here. In fact I have never heard of leasing it out. I think that might be a little dangerous, as there is a long learning period of the use of the machine. I know I have had my Milli for 4 months, and I am just now getting comfortable in doing quilts for customers.

Good luck with your venture.

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Ia.

If you are concerned about tension, have users have their own bobbin cases. I have someone who rents time on my machine who has her own. They are not very expensive on the APQS machines. We don't have problems going back and forth. But I've gotten a lot more comfortable adjusting tension with a variety of thread changes.

Kari

I originally planned to rent time on my Milli and initially advertised that way. I have come to the conclusion (to make this a short reply) after having only 3 other people use it that it is not a good idea for me. My store is small and I had difficulty getting anything else done for helping them (which was not figured in the cost after the initial training) and worrying about Milli because I didn't feel like they were "being nice to her".

You know how a rental car gets to looking as well as rental property and I could just see that happening to my expensive quilting machine so I have backed off renting it out. Maybe I'm too protective but fixing that machine is too involved and the fixers too far away to let someone who has no vested interest use it, at least for my purposes. Also, my business has grown enough that I can keep it busy all by myself.

There is a store near me that rents time on their millenium. I don't know that I would want to do it or go use the machine "cold". Seems like it would be pretty intimidating, but it seems to be working ok for them. If you want to email me, I am happy to pass on the name of the store and contact info.

Karen

:)

Hi All,

Just my thoughts on this, I would make sure that you give the people whom you will let work on your the proper training, so they know what to do!

Sue Schmeiden and many others, do rent out their machines, but they do give them the proper training....

The basics would be of course... loading and quilting, but also to learn about the tension and general maintanance, so they will have a better understanding and respect for your machine!!

I think it is fine to do it, as long as you feel comfortable that they know a little about what they are doing!!!

Just my .02cents worth!

Have a good one

Connie Hurst

APQS Service Mgr/ Tech

Guest Linda S

I think a lot of this will depend on how well you know the people who will be using your machine and, as Connie said, whether or not they have had basic training. I for one am WAY TOO SELFISH to let anyone touch my baby! She is a strong and fearless warrior maiden, but her mom's a wimp! :P

Linda

Greetings All,

If you are considering renting time on your quilting machine, first check with you insurance agent. The liability issue can be a factor. Also, if the people using your machine are using rulers and templates, and they are not experienced quilters, you had better know how to re-time your machine as they will probably hit something and throw the timing off. If you are planning to give them training on the machine before they go solo, are you going to charge for your time? Most people won't want to pay for machine time just to get familiar with your machine, but you can't give away your time either. Lots of things to think about.

Happy Quilting,

Ray Templeton

Designs & More

Millennium

Archived