Making Stencil from Panto?

Well, I haven't done this (yet) but I do have one of those "hot pens" that you can melt through plastic (and other materials like etching wood, etc). I think you could somehow trace the design you want on to the mylar plastic (the stuff you use for making templates) and etch little dots or small dotted lines to form the design.

This is something I've thought of doing but haven't done yet, so if anyone else has a tried and true method, please speak up because I'm interested, too! :)

Hope the 'police' don't come after me, but I did this recently. I needed something to fill a setting triangle and couldn't find anything so used some feathers from a panto I had. I traced them onto freezer paper as I turned, twisted, and reshaped them to fit. Then I took a large needle to punch holes. Then used the blue water erase marker to put the pattern on the fabric.

I tried using the laser from the front, but the pattern was so large, it seemed to loose its shape as you went to the far edge. It was quite a lot of work as I had 12 copies to put on the top.

Be glad when those beautiful feathers just 'appear'!

I have made several using just a portion of a panto, I use an exacto knife to cut out after tracing with a Sharpie onto the plastic. There is a special dual blade for the exacto that makes it a lot easier than what I go thru..but I save these and use them over. Sometimes I use cardboard but always with my exacto knife..Shana I like your idea sounds a lot simpler..just remember to leave a few sections to keep it connected. :P

Use one or multiple layers of tracing paper pinned together with the design on the top sheet. With your domestic machine set the stitch length long and without thread in the needle stitch along the lines making perforations in the tracing paper. Use these as stencils with chalk pounce or adher them temporarily to the quilt using 505 spray adhesive, then after you stitch, pull the paper away. I traced a drawing from fabric and used this on a quilt.

Another technique is to trace off the motif, put it on a front panto small table made from lucite taped with double stick tape to a second set of metal rails that people use to lift the elastic straps, position your laser on the front of the machine and then stitch the design wherever you want it by adjusting the portable table and your quilt advance.

I bought the double blade cutter for making my own stencils from plastic but haven't done it yet.

Don't forget that the chalk comes in a version that can be seen with a black lamp bulb that you can get for your light. I have heard that this special chalk can be diluted with regular pounce white chalk.

It's great to use some of the panto designs, like western boots, on the domestic machine too.

Have fun being creative.

Vicki

I have often made stencils by tracing a design on freezer paper, and then pinning it to the quilt top(this just keeps it still). Take the thread out of your needle and just stitch on the lines in your design. Now you can use a pounce. I often use this same idea when I design something for an open block or a setting triangle.

Don

Hi Ladies,

I hate to even bring this up, but feel I must. Please check the individual copyright statements on the patterns you are interested in altering, and perhaps even contact the designer. Most of us are very happy to give permissions on an individual basis for using our motifs, whereas some (in the minority, I think) are not. It's worth asking. Some designers do prefer that their designs be used unaltered. FWIW, I've granted individual permissions at different times for patterns.

Thanks so much!

:)

Archived