Resumes - oi!

So I decided to hoof it down to the local employment agency, and they want an interview with me today and I'm to bring my resume. I had to laugh when I hung up. They have no idea what they're asking for. It used to be sufficient to simply show up dressed nicely at these agencies and they'd have you fill out an application showing your work history and schooling etc., give you a typing test and a word test, then tell you what you're fit for and what they have available. NOW you have to have a blankety-blank (sorry, folks, but this gets me riled!) resume like some professional office type, which I wasn't trying to present myself like. Maybe I'll just shine on the resume. But I'm VERY tempted to actually make one, just to see the look on their faces.

Work history:

Retail floater

Retail floater

Retail gift wrapper

Retail gift wrapper

Retail cashier

Retail cashier

World Vision Intl. information processor/researcher

Fabric clerk

Fabric clerk

Fabric clerk

Disneyland cashier Tomorrowland

Church soloist

Church soloist

Church soloist

Church soloist

Church secretary

Opera singer

Opera singer

Substitute alto section leader

Soloist for Easter Sunrise, Scottish Rite Temple

Wedding soloist

Funeral soloist

NW Temp girl friday

Mom (with all the responsibilities and benefits pertaining thereto)

Church soloist

Quilter

Education:

1 year secretarial training

4 years college - Bachelor of Music

Forever taking voice lessons

Handbell ringing classes

Quilting classes

Oh yes, and then there was the old fashioned switchboard training I received at the Secretarial school in Pasadena years ago from an old lady who knew it was never going to be used but thought it useful to know just in case. Yeah...

Experience:

Parenting.

Some secretarial, usually fill-in for office help

Parenting.

Calligraphic lettering people's names on certificates (really paid me for that once!)

Parenting.

Vast and sundry choral involvements and solo work gratis.

Parenting.

Making lots of beautiful (I think!) quilted things as gifts for those I love and others.

Parenting.

What would they make of that line-up, eh? What a joke!

What do you all do when you have to provide a resume, if you haven't had a clerical education and background? Of course, most of you probably have had office jobs of one type or another (so to speak!), so I probably sound pretty dumb here. But I'm wondering if others have this problem too and what you do.

Now isn't this just the most interesting life you've ever read about. Well, I just like to provide entertainment for the painfully bored. Of course, I count on my life to be entertaining to somebody. It must be. It's not much use otherwise..... LOL! :D

Patty, I was/am a Certified Professional Resume Writer (I let my membership lapse for the organization that certified me) and yes I write resumes for a living. Today, even kids looking for work at places like McDonalds have a better chance of getting the job if they have a resume than those without.

The resume puts forth your skills and strengths. Everyone can benefit from having a well-written resume - not just "some professional office type." Moms have some of the best qualifications - they do everything from controlling budgets to scheduling, transportation, banking, etc. This is your advertisement, your sales pitch, your way to get your foot in the door. Don't take it lightly.

Thanks, Sue. I needed that. I'll go and enjoy my humble pie now. :) Ok, so where do I start? My resume has all the stuff above on it, but it's set up for someone interviewing me for a church choir director position. My interview is at 1:00 today, so don't have much time. Should I just tweek it a little, or start all over from scratch? What a pain! but you're right, I guess even for a temp job I have to have this. I suppose it shows I'm diversified and flexible, which is the kind of person they need for temp jobs, eh?

Again, thank you for the dose of reality. I've been in my own world so long I don't know what's up and what's down, LOL! Time to learn.

Patty,

Adding on to what Sue mentioned above, there are several formats for resumes. A chronological resume that lists dates and work history probably wouldn't be your format, but there are different ways to format a resume to highlight your strengths and experience.

Write your cover letters so they target exactly the type of job you are looking for, too. Is there a specific company you know about that you'd like to work for? Heard good things about its culture? That's what I did about 13 years ago -- I set a goal to work for my current employer (who was/is known for good pay, excellent bennies, treats employees very good, ect.) so that's what I did and figured out a way to get my foot in the door. Thirteen years later, I'm still here and hope to stay until I "retire" and then I'll work full time 100% as a quilter. Some day I hope that dream career as a full time quilter will come true for me!

Most jobs are not advertised through the "classified" ads. Usually it's through an acquaintance or someone you know. Another idea is to work through a job placement agency (temp to perm). That way you can work temp jobs and if its a good fit for you and the employer, many times these temp jobs end up becoming permanent.

Here are some links to get you pointed in the right direction with a resume and cover letter.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/resumes/p/resumetypes.htm

http://content.monster.com/resume/home.aspx?WT.mc_n=SRCH/?s_kwcid=ContentNetwork%7C735129679

Here's a link for practicing up on your interview questions and answers. This will help you to be ready to answer the obvious questions and to ask the obvious questions, too. If you Google you will find a bunch of stuff out there to help get prepared. Check your local library for video tapes on interview practice and library books, too.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm

Used to be you'd just go in and take a typing test and fill out a W2 or W4, or whatever it was I just filled out. NOW..... had to fill in an application form on the PC, sign forms, do the interview, take a PC Word test (a little different from a Mac Word program, but not much), and then... THEN..... I had to give a sample of urine!!!! Good grief, what IS this world coming to???!

Ok, I'm ok now..... just a little peaved that everybody has to be suspect, even if all you want to do is typing and filing. Geez! Ok, but I"m over it, right?

Whatever.

Thanks for the info everybody. If I decide to go full bore for an office job I'll take full advantage of what's out there for bozos like me to help me get a job. Right now I'm thinking I'll start giving voice lessons this week. Do you know that doggone application program didn't even have music as an option on the college major drop-down? GEEEEEEEZ!!!

Well, I think there is certainly a correlation (ha! spelling on that one?) between good workers and someone with the chutzpah to finish a 4 year music program in a conservatory-like setting. Then they didn't have "clerical" or "secretarial" as a choice for certificates from a vocational or training school. What's with that?

Well, back to quilting. At least the fabric knows who I am, LOL! :D

I don't think (unless you are at an employment agency) that they are legally allowed to give you a urinalysis unless they offer you a job. (Remember this from my Employment Law class.) I do all of the interviews for my company and my preference is:

Typing test (must do the min. 45 WPM) in Word.

Excel is a must (basic adding, sorting and printing)

GREAT phone skills

GREAT attitude

I prefer to take raw talent and train. I really like Moms because they have multi-tasking down and can work under deadlines. Moms and especially Military Moms are great because they appreciate the job and don't take employment for granted. Usually are on time, get the job done & for the most part, know what is appropriate or not (ever have a teenage daughter you wouldn't let out of the house--you get the picture) for the workplace.

Just my two-cents!

I used one of those 20 dollar Resume programs and did mine... Never had any complaints on it and its worked every time! As far as the urinalysis I'm not sure of the law but I do know that the last two previous jobs that I have gotten I have had to go have them done. Not fun! And I'm just the bookkeeper!!

Well, the gal at the agency said they don't have temp work for now, but to give her a call each Monday and she'll let me know. She asked if I could be one of those people she could send here and there now and then, and I said yes, definitely. I rather like variety. So we'll see if it turns up anything. DH was annoyed with me applying for what he thinks of as a piddling kind of job. He's so sure I could make tons of money teaching voice. Well, it would be neat, I guess..... I suppose I shall have to try that again too. Who knows? maybe this time I'll get gals who actually want to hear themselves sing! The last few were afraid of their own shadows, LOL! How can you teach somebody you can't hear? Well, I didn't give it enough time, so if I do it again I'll give it several months at least. And I have such inadequate piano skills.

Thanks for all the advice. I think Oregon has funny laws about things like urine samples or something. But it would seem to me they would be the other way around here, not MORE strict. Oregon is usually loose about most things. I guess it might be the recent meth busts the police have been doing that has all the employers on edge or something. Well, anyway, this is the "Grass Seed Capital of the World" (Linn County, I believe), so I really can't blame them, LOL!

Archived