Tracing paper quilting

Bonnie, I used the Golden Threads paper for quilting some pretty intricate pine cone boughs and I just used straight pins to hold it in place. Of course, they want to rip the paper a bit, but they stayed down until I was finished. It was not my preferred method since I had a lot of shards of paper to pull off, but I couldn't mark the quilt nor could I have free handed it and have it come out perfectly in all the spaces. You can put a piece of scotch tape where you plan to pin it down to avoid the tears. The open toe foot did catch on loose ends so use a closed foot for better results.

24202257605_8a5dd359c1.jpgPine Cone boughs by Lisa C., on Flickr

I created the design using a combination of a quilting stencil and a painting stencil. Once I came up with a design I could continuously quilt I traced it onto several sections of the Golden Threads paper using a black fine tip Sharpie marker. I also traced an extra set for future reference. I created one longer and one shorter stencil so they lapped into each other and were not symmetrical, if that makes sense.

The Golden Threads paper is very brittle so it basically falls off; I vacuumed the big pieces and the small pieces I wiped off with a dust cloth. This paper does not get stuck under the stitches like other paper - for example paper piecing paper. I really like it. If you look closely at the picture; you can see where I have stitched it cuts right through the paper.

Archived