How would you quilt this??

My very close friend has another one she wants me quilt (she is a prolific beginner) The top is a Ricky Tims Convergence and she did a beautiful job!! However she did a very nice abstract applique on the back and now I am a little concerned - What ever I do on the top will go blindly over the applique on the back - whatever I quilt on the back will not cover evenly on the top - HELP !!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

(yes I know I don't take in other's quilts but I do have an Alaskan trip coming up and the cash would be great!)

Sewhappy

Patty,

I had one of these dilemmas once....we wound up quilting from the back and making that the top....My problem was applique with a poem that she refused to let me cross the words.

She had had it quilted by one lady from the top and then she spent 3 weeks picking out the stitches because she didn't like the words with stitches across them.

The lady never told the original quilter that she picked out the stitches, which I thought was wrong. She was hanging the quilt at The Sisters Annual quilt show and the quilter was going to be there. DUH, didn't she think the quilter would question why it wasn't like she had quilted it.

So this may be a way to get around your situation....

One of my first quilts was an allover job except for a Sun Bonnet Sue block on the back. I wasn't going to slap something right over Sue's little face so I quilted everything from the front, going around the area of the block on the back. Then, I flipped the quilt and did some outlining and McTavishing on the Sue block. It really turned out great. The thread and the fabric worked out well enough, I actually have to point out the change of pattern on the front and the back really is cute.

I'm working on one right now that has a fabulous label pieced into an otherwise plain back. Not sure if I can work it out, but I'd like to try something similar with this one and preserve the work she's already done on her label.

Challenges! Everyday is a new one. :) ~~ Eva H.

Eva, when I was reading how to do a label a while back, they said to be sure and put it on BEFORE the quilting, because that way it gets quilted on and no robber can ever take it off, without taking apart the entire quilt. That's what I did with my last one, and I used invisible thread on the back so you can't even tell, unless you look close, which no one ever does. Worked out great.

Archived