What is the deal with this silly - tiny - screw?? Should I have to adjust it every time the barometric pressure changes. It was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w...so I opened up the hood and turned it a tiny bit and fixed it, every thing was perfect...but it rained...and now it keeps needling up and down when I don't want it to. It is a pain in the patooty to get to. Why doesn't it just stay put??

Hi Mary Beth

First you need to warm your machine up for about 15 minutes BEFORE making the adjustment.

Then depending on how many times the needle is over cycling (say its 3-4 times) turn the gold No 8 screw one FULL turn clockwise. If its cycling more than this do 2 full turns clockwise.

Its very important that the machine is warmed up before making the adjustment.

It is a good idea to warm you machine up before you start sewing anyway.

I have a small piece of fabric sandwich that I can pin on the rollers and before I start sewing for the day I warm myself up and the machine by practising freehand feathers. Since I oil my machine at the end of the day, this gets rid of any excess oil that might be in the bobbin area too,

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Thanks Sue. I do warm up my machine before I start. In fact when the needle up/down was running so slow, I "fixed" it in the middle of a quilt. It worked perfect through the rest of that quilt and through 2 other quilts and then on the last one I was quilting, the needle up/down started going fast after I was half way though the quilt. I am getting ready to start another quilt, so I will warm her up, then take her hood off and re-adjust....I consider this down time because I have to turn it off, take it apart, adjust the screw, put it back together, turn it on, try it again, and if it is not right do it all again. I think they put a hole in the hood now - is that right? I wish mine had that.

Is it normal to need to adjust that screw so much? Things were fine, then it started acting up....I don't get it.

New machines do not have a hole to adjust the needle speed. It is not normal to adjust often. One of the things that will effect this adjustment is power line voltage. If you line voltage changes this could cause this issue. We use a power line regulator on our CQ for filtering and maintaining a constant live voltage.

John

I only use a spike filter on the AC outlet to add some security but it does nothing to keep the voltage at the same level. When we first got our Millennium I had to adjust the screw to keep the machine from cycling.

Now I warm it up by turning the power on one hour before working.( It does not have to run) Since the speed is controlled by electronic components, it gets them up to the correct temperature and the speed will not change after that.

To go one step further, you can also run the machine for a couple of minutes to distribute the oil in the bearings and practice on quilt sample but I don't find it necessary .

J?rgen:)

I have had the same problem with my machine-today I've adjusted it twice so far. Last night once and at least once a week for the last six months! It either starts that uncontrollable single stitching all by itself or else it is so slow on the single stitch it takes about 10 seconds for each one...geez! If anyone finds a better solution to this problem, please let me know.

Any miracle fixes?

:mad:

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

back at it again...this time it will not stop needle up/down. I have a Belkin Surge Master - a fancy name for a $50 or $60 surge protector...same thing or not as a power line regulator...and if not where do I get the regulator and can I plug it into my surge protector??

Exactly where is this screw #8? I have been haveing regulator problems for some time and would like to try this approach. What do you consider the "hood" of the machine? I have a top front piece that comes off after loosening screws and a top back piece which covers a big black tube apparatus. I took all the metal pieces off today and never did see a gold/brass screw. thanks

Marie,

I don't want to be the one to tell you where to find it, just in case your machine is not the same as mine. I know it can be frustrating.

John,

If that shouldn't be what I need for my Millie, then what? I swear to you (and I don't normally swear) that it happens when a storm is coming or humidity goes up or whatever. I know that sounds like a dumb thing to say, but both times I have had trouble lately - we have had bad weather.

Hi Marie

The stitch regulator and the single stitch button are two separate things. I'd ring the factory in the morning and explain to them whats happening because if you adjust the no 8 pod and thats not the cause of your problem then you might have created a new problem!

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

I swear it is humidity...I know, John, that is totally wrong and coming from a technical point of view is probably out there in LaLa Land...but...DH turned on the dehumidifier and I had to readjust back up because needle up/down was back at a snails pace. This is crazy!!

Archived