Bobbins without holes

kabex

My used 2005 Millie came with some metal bobbins that have no holes.  I am trying to use the on-board bobbin winder for the first time, but instructions say to run the thread through a hole in the bobbin.  If there isn't a single hole for that purpose, how can I start winding the bobbin?  Also, the spindle on the machine is too small for the bobbin, and it has a flat portion.  I've read where you can slide a piece of plastic tubing over the spindle, but why is this necessary?  Have bobbins changed or is my machine missing a part?

Yes, the spindle on the bobbin winder needs a piece of rubber tubing, which you can order from APQS or find locally if someone on the forum knows the specs. It's gas-line tubing used on RC aircraft. In the meantime, take your roll of painters tape and wrap some several time around the spindle. Try the bobbin on as you add tape. When the bobbin is very secure (it'll be hard to push on but will stay without spinning) you can wrap the thread around the bobbin several times ---like 10 or 15--until it's also secure. You can leave the tail or clip it off. I can't visualize which way the bobbin spins on the winder, but make sure your hand-winding matches or else the thread will unfurl instead of winding. I used painters tape on the spindle for years before I bought a turbo winder.

I imagine the motor and winders are standard-of-the-industry and keep costs down. The little piece of tubing works like a charm. There are so many different bobbin-configurations, sizes, materials, etc, that the little piece of tubing makes winding possible with any different bobbin that fits in your machine. Hoping you have good luck getting up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit late with my reply, but there If you did not get your used machine from APQS,there is a slight chance that your bobbins are after market non-APQS bobbins.  As an APQS dealer, I have discovered from customers that there are some bobbins out there that do not properly fit our machines.  They look just slightly different from the 'real' APQS bobbins (no holes are one of the things) and don't perform as well either.  My customer was having all kinds of tension problems and when she started using bobbins that were directly from APQS her problems went away.  Just an FYI.

Archived