Need pattern for king size on point quilt

Hello All!

Am new to this forum, and need help. I"m making a 91/2" block king size quilt.  Could someone send me a pattern?  Need 8x 9 layout, and how big would this be finished?  I foolishly gave new DIL a choice between on point and straight layout -  guess what she chose!

Thanks, otherwise I will be buying a cutting fabric until 2020.

NCQuilter :rolleyes:

This might help you a little;  http://www.mccallsquilting.com/content_downloads/Setting_Blocks_On_Point.pdf

Do some internet searches on how to turn a quilt on point.  I found an old book in the library that told you how to take a set size rectangle, cut it into three pieces and sew them back together on point.   Of course, I copied the page in question, but cannot find it now to share with you.

You might also check with your local quilt store and ask them how to take a charm pack, sew the blocks together, and then cut into three pieces and put all the blocks on point.  I did this with my first quilt and it turned out great.  Just expand mathematically proportionally, and you could do it for a much larger quilt.  It took a rectangle and made it an on point square quilt.  Though I did have to borrow a long level out of the garage to get a nice straight cut from one corner to the other.  

I hope you can figure out how to do it.

Cagey

I'm going to hit you with the math---watch out!!

A 9 1/2 in block (finished @9") set in an 8 x 9 setting, on point, with alternate blocks the same size, plus setting triangles without any added border (the binding will hit right on the seam intersections) will give you a quilt that's about 100" by 112". Sort of King sized, but usually a King is square, so you might want to think about it. If that isn't large enough, plan a border to make it the size you need, or make more blocks.

Using the Pythagorean Theory yada yada math math math, the distance from diagonal corners of a finished 9" block  is 12.72". Sewn together with alternate blocks and 8 across will give you approx. 101". Nine blocks the other way about 114". Use graph paper for a visual for how the blocks fit together. You'll also need setting triangles. These are cut so the bias edges are sewn to the blocks and the straight-of-grain runs along the perimeter, keeping the edges from stretching. The side triangles are cut, four at a time from one big square--in this case a 14" square, cut twice diagonally. The four corner triangles are cut from two smaller squares---and only once on the diagonal, two 7 1/4" squares would work. Here's a link to Bonnie Hunter's chart for determining sizes of squares for setting triangles.  http://quiltville.com/onpointmath.shtml

You'll find many photos and diagrams of on-point quilts on line---try Pinterest. You won't need a pattern. Have fun and good luck!

Thanks so much for the math!   I have the ruler for side and corner triangles, and practices on point on a charity quilt.  I just need the layout for a 9x9  91/2" blocks,  or how do I layout the 81 blocks for a square king size quilt?  Think I can take it from there.  Really don't want to have to add a border to achieve the correct size.

Again thanks!

NCQuilter

Linda's instructions are thorough and worth keeping for reference.

I suggest that you sketch out your quilt layout design so that you have a paper copy of your pattern. 

Google search "free graph paper" to find axonometric graph paper. This graph paper is printed as on-point squares. Draft your quilt layout using the graph paper. This will ensure you make the correct number of blocks and set-in triangles.  It will also help you when you start to put the quilt together.

Leslie

Archived