T-shirt quilt advice

I have been asked by a prospective customer to make a T-shirt quilt. I am not averse to making a quilt like this from scratch. We did talk today about her expectations and about the likely cost of such a project. I spent some time online looking at websites of people that do nothing but make T-shirt quilts and feel like I would like to do this project.

My questions are pretty much what to expect in the construction. I know you need a stabilizer for the cotton knit. What is the best kind to use and where can I buy it.

As for the rest of the constuction are there any other tips you can share.

Now for the quilting....................I guess many of you might have quilted tops others made. I would be intrerested in hearing the pos and cons. What is the best thread, design and what to look out for. Since I will be making the top as well what should I avoid that might cause problems with the quilting.

This is such a wonderful shareing group and I am looking forward to learning more about these quilts.

I can't believe how many people do nothing but T-shirt quilts so I guess there must be quite the market for them out there.

As I've stated before, I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents worth. I made 4 t-shirt quilts from scratch, and quite enjoyed myself. I used Pellon SF101 fusible interfacing to stabilize the shirts, then treated them like regular fabric. I bought my bolt of interfacing from EE Schenk here in Portland, but others may have a better idea. To quilt them, I used Monolpoly clear thread in a large meander. There was so much going on with the designs on the shirts that I didn't want any thread color to interfere with them.

Hope that helps,

Beth

I have made several t-shirt quilts, and since it's spring and graduation time...I am pretty hard at it with those quilts now. Everyone has their own opinion about what to use, here is mine.

I use Pellone Fusible Featherwt 911F, I buy it by the bolt at Joann's either when it is 50% off or when I have a coupon. Cut out the whole front, iron on the interfacing, then cut the shirt to the desired size - I usually use 14 1/2", just depends on the size of the shirts. Then treat is just as I would a regular piece of fabric. When I quilt it, I usually use a medium to large meander or the panto "Which Way Did They Go" , I always use regular thread to match the fabric. I tried the monopoly - but gave up trying to get the tension right and just went with the regular. I have suggested the clear thread to people and they usually say they want the colored. You can see some of my t-shirt quilts on my web shots, but if you have been checking out sites where that is all they do, mine will look lame :) Anyway, good luck, and have fun.

Mary Beth

I haven't made one, but have quilted quite a few. I quilt with either signature or so fine thread using a neutral color or one that works best. I do a large overall meander, but have added large free handed hearts or butterflies. I stitch arond the design, but will go in and out around lettering to minimize the unquilted space on larger designs areas.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Pretty much I contruct themthe same..using a sashing between blocks. I have done quite a few and find for me outlineing the block and do something around a motif in the block or write their name, school mascot, graduation date, etc. in the block. I found that a lot of time an all over pattern was hard to do because of the stuff they use to print on some of the t shirts. Some were a sticky type of substance..was hard to move the machine over it..

Archived