hartley vs circle lord

I have the CL and it is very user friendly. I have not used the Hartley so I can't really answer your question. I think maybe Sherry R-H has used both so maybe she can answer this question. The CL is expensive, but it really is great fun and the learning curve is just about zero. Just what I need!!!

Hartley Fence is not cheap either. And there is a learning curve. I have had mine since I bought my machine, is it 3 or 4 years??? Anyway, I have not had any classes or training so it just sits there. I have Myrna's workbook, but have not bought the video yet. I think those two items are a great help in using the Fence.

I am considereing the Quilt EZ or whatever it is called. But I am taking classes at MQS and if I can swing it, from Myrna when she is in our area in August, on the HF.

There are a lot of people out there sold on the CL - I just cann't justify the cost, not enough business. Maybe if I sold the HF I could buy the CL, just undecided. I read everything people post about all of the options. Plan to take a look at all at MQS.

I only have the CL. It was Myrna who used to own both.

Originally posted by MarieBrewer

I have the CL and it is very user friendly. I have not used the Hartley so I can't really answer your question. I think maybe Sherry R-H has used both so maybe she can answer this question. The CL is expensive, but it really is great fun and the learning curve is just about zero. Just what I need!!!

I have used both units. The HF is OK but the CL is the most versatile. The king templates are just wonderful and some of them have more than one design on them. With a little imagination, all of them can be used in different ways. For example the clam can be turned upside down and redone over the quilt making the orange peel design. The smaller templates all have more than one design incorporated in them. This gives you hundreds of combinations. You can mix and match designs all the smaller templates meaning you can take a line from this and a curve from that, add a squiggle from over there and make your own designs. He also has books out that give you many, many ideas. The service is absolutely great. Sooo easy, even a caveman can do it. (sorry, I had to.)

I agree with everything that everyone has said about the CL. I've never used the HL, so can't give you any input there. Yes, the CL is expensive, but he offers great financing. I got mine plus assorted templates with no interest, and paid off in one year. I was also very fortunate to get 2 used king templates, and thanks for the orange peel suggestion!

I can't say enough wonderful things about the CL, and highly recommend you look at it. I think the fact that you've asked about a used one and no one has responded speaks for itself.

Beth

Ya gotta love the Circle Lord. Had the Hartley Fence and just couldn't get the hang of it. Got the Circle Lord and sold the Fence. The Circle Lord is so easy. Just can't say enough good things about it......and Michael. He is so caring and helpful. I am definitely going to order more templates when I get the cash.

But...you read that lots of quilters use and love the Hartley Fence. Guess it has to be up to the individual. Give me ease of use any time, thus the Circle Lord.;)

Guest Linda S

The Hartley Fence can do circles and crosshatching, and there are some cookie cutter templates that you can buy to go with it. I had a Hartley Fence -- I couldn't use it (even after taking a class) so I sold it. I bought the Circle Lord and I absolutely love it. It is very easy to use and makes great designs. Ya just gotta love it.

Linda

Archived