How would you quilt this?

This is my top and it took many hours to complete. I am in no hurry to do the quilting on this one. The last one I did for myself took 40 hours of longarm time.

I want over the top ideas for this top:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2722160780053837050xagQeZ

Here is a detail photo:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2884586030053837050AgzqPF

thanks in advance for any ideas.

Here's an idea from a quilt I took off my machine last night. It is somewhat similar to your in that it has a football type of shape where the blocks come together. I don't know if you would consider this over the top or not. Anyway, here's 2 pictures. One of them is pretty dark so you can really see the detail of the quilting. The other one you can see the markings and the shapes around the stars.

Hope this helps.

Debbi

post--13461898091971_thumb.jpg

I LOVE scrap quilts, and this one is a beauty!

As for quilting ideas, I'm guessing you don't want to hear this, but this quilt is so busy with all the different fabrics, I'm not sure any quilting would show up much. I'm not sure you would want it to at any rate.

IMHO, this would be a perfect quilt for a baptist fan treatment. I think the repitition of a simple design like BF would be a calming influence and would let the glorious colors and the different fabrics take center stage.

FWIW,

Sara

Dtrusch that is exactly the kind of ideas I am looking for and yes I do consider your quilting over the top. It is just beautiful!!!!!! Thank you so much for shareing your work. I see that you have premarked all your feathers. Did you do that before or after you loaded the quilt on the machine? I need to begin premarking things...............at least my own (unless the customer is willing to pay for my time to mark) as it makes for a much neater more consice design.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful quilting. That is one lucky customer that found you to work on their quilt. I hope to be albe to acheive that level myself.

Sewingupastorm,

This quilt was marked entirely before I put it on the machine. My lucky customer for this quilt is my mom!! It is her mother's day present.

I think I have about 60 hours in the quilting and about 8 hours in the marking. I wanted consistent feathers in all of the blocks so I drew my design on some paper and used the the table of my machine with a bright lamp underneath it to trace the feathers. The rest of the marking in the football shapes was done with a ruler. In the border, which you can't see in the picture I just marked some registration lines and containment lines for some melon feathers and a beadboard type of quilting around the feathers.

This is the first quilt where I've done some really heavy custom quilting. It was a lot of fun, loads of work and I learned tons of lessons. I can hardly wait to do another one. If I did this for a customer, they would be paying me some big bucks. But for mom, it's free. She's worth it!!

Good luck with your quilt. It's beautiful. Be sure to post pictures when you are done with it!!

Debbi

SUAS,

Now that I've gotten to take a look at your quilt, first let me say that it is very pretty. I love the color choices.

When I first loooked at it my eye was drawn to the diagonals created by the 9patches with the white.

I would do something to add movement there, maybe continuous feathers in varying widths, following that football shape that appears.

Whatever you do it's sure to be fabulous. Your quilts are all very beautiful.

Thanks Teresa I think this is definaly going to have to have feathers on it! I think that this quilt being so stunning in design needs more than an allover design. I want people (including quilt judges) to go wow just at looking at it.

Everything I do is worth doing over the top. I am always raising the bar on my own work so for me the amount of time I take on this is of no consequence. Hey I just read that Sharon Schamber who just won best of show AGAIN in Paducah spent 1000 hours just on the quilting on her quilt. Now she is in a class way way higher than over the top! I do feel that if it is worth doing it is worth doing your best.

Archived