Bobbin problem

What would make my bobbin shred like this?  It is Superior super bob bottom line. I am using so fine 40 in top?  Need your advice. I had this happen with my very first prewound bobbin that i used. Never again and i have probably been through 25 bobbins20170423_174155.jpg.bffbc42f8a25f74d1139c3ba8f8300ec.jpg

20170423_174138.jpg

Judy

I'm guessing a defective cardboard in bobbin, or maybe you separated the cardboard a tad when you were finding the thread start.  You could try putting the good side towards the tension spring in the bobbin if possible, so the bad side does not catch on the defective side and mess up your tension.  If that is not possible, you can "save the thread" by simply winding it onto your own bobbin.  If you never had an issue with any other pre-wounds, I would consider it a non-issue/onetime thing.  Write Superior and complain, and you might get a new 10 bobbin bag.  Happy customers are good repeat customers.  Who know what you will get.

Cagey

You can take off the cardboard side and it will work fine. You may have to adjust your bobbin tension. It happens occasionally to me as well. I think the cardboard may be a fraction bigger in diameter than it should be. Make sure there isn't any shredded cardboard under your spring now. 

Cagey and Bobbie ,  thank you. I couldn't turn it around but someone on the FB page for sit down quilters suggested taking the cardboard off also. I knew i couldn't use it like it was so i tried it. Seems to be ok,  i am working on practice  anyway so i think i will be fine. I might let superior know though. They might can tell me why it happened. I tend to agree with you cagey.  That was the bobbin case for prewound. I had been winding my own for a couple of quilts and hadn't used the bobbin and case for a couple of months. Thank you both for a quick reply. 

I have used hundreds of superbobs and have not experienced this. I have removed the cardboard on the inside and they run with better tension than with the cardboard. I test them on the Towa and if the tension bounces or is jerky as I pull the thread I tear the cardboard off. Works for me; I read that tip here on the forum years ago. I hope it works for you. I use pre-wounds exclusively.

Archived