Directional Tension with the IQ

I've got directional tension issues when using my IQ pantos.  It seems that it is fine when just testing in manual mode.  When I start the panto, the stitching on the back of the quilt lays on top of the quilt when going the the backward direction.  If I tighten the tension to alleviate this issue, the tension on the front is too tight.  I've also tried a bigger needle, rotating the needle, lighter thread in the bobbin, and slowing the speed down.  Nothing has helped.  I've read and tried all of the suggestions posted thus far.  Any help.  Is it at all related to the IQ software?

It won't be an IQ issue, if anything the tension should be better with IQ because it operates a constant speed.  When you say the tension on the front gets too tight what do you mean?  Is the top thread laying on the top, are you breaking the top thread or are you just seeing the bobbin thread in the needle holes.  Try setting your bobbin tension the way Jamie Wallen does and then adjust your upper tension to suit.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM   It works for a lot of us.

Nigel

I have directional tension issues without IQ (I don't have IQ) and it drives me crazy.  I mostly give up, but someday, I'd really like to get to the bottom of it, because it really isn't acceptable :(.  Good luck with your situation, I can only commiserate. 

What threads are you using?  I had to give up on using Bottom Line in the bobbin because I could never get the tension just right.  What you are describing is what I experienced with Bottom Line.  I know tons of people have lots of success with BL, just not me and my Millie.

Carol

Archived