Wheel problems????

I put a call in a few hours ago to service, with no response yet. I was wondering if maybe someone "out there" can help.

When moving the machine side to side I am feeling kind of a thump, thump. It is definately not smooth like it used to be. I have leveled and adjusted the table. I am thinking that I possibly have a bad wheel.

How can you tell which one it is? The machine is just under 2 years old. Are the wheels included in the warranty?

I am just not getting the smooth ride that I used to get.

Thanks for your help.

Patty

I had a similar problem and changed the wheels. Is it a very regular bump (like every 6" or so)? If so, it's probably the wheels. You're probably better off changing all of them than trying to isolate which one. Besides - this way you have spares ;). It's not a hard job - the manual has the steps.

Are your wheels black or reddish? The new black ones are better.

Good luck!

Julia

Hi Patty

If you are noticing the problem when you move the machine side to side its a carriage wheel. Try resting a q-tip in the wheels one at a time and moving the carriage along the table. I can sometimes feel the bump against the q tip this way.

When you find the bad wheel you could take it off and turn it over so the opposite edge of the wheel is resting on the rails and see if that helps until you get a new wheel.

Good luck Sue in Australia

Thank you for your replies. Amy called at the end of the day and suggested I make one more adjustment and to also flip the wheels. I just did this with the exception of the wheel with the channel lock teeth.

I did notice that the 3 wheels had black grease coming out of them. Is this normal????

I haven't tried quilting, but just moving the machine side to side, I am still getting a slight thumping feeling. I guess that would be what you call it. It is hard to describe.

Could the bearings be shot???

Thanks,

Patty

Patty

I clean the wheels when I clean the rails and I get black stuff out of the wheels every time. My husband is a machinist, and he says that cleaning the wheels is necessary because of the way the stitch regulator is set up.

Patti

in Estacada

Patti

Thank you, but I do clean the rails and wheels everyday. The black grease I was referring to was coming out of the bearing area when I took the wheels off and flipped them.

Everything seems to be going along smoother today as I am quilting, so flipping the wheels did help.

Thanks for all the replies.

Patty

Archived