Glitter Hologram Thread HELP PLEASE

I have a customer that wants me to use Glitter Hologram Thread on a show quilt....can anyone give me hits as to how to use it. Did you treat it as a metallic thread or a sliver, Sewer's Aid and Bottom Line in the bobbin? Or should I try to talk the customer out of it and use something else.

These ribbon threads are somewhat fragile, so remember to loosen the tension and sew slow. I also recommend trying a sample on your machine before you commit to a larger project, the sanity you save may be your own:P!!

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

Bonnie, I have used it before, but it breaks like crazy. You have to loosen the top and the bottom tension quite a bit. And, like Janet said, you have to slow down the machine; quite a hard task with our machines. Stitch up a small sample, see what you think, then let the customer know. If you don't already have some Glitter thread I can send you one of my sample spools to see what you think of it.

Thank ladies....just what I was looking for. No, I don't currently have any. Now to decide what to do. Its a black and white quilt which she wants to simulate birds in flight....with the glit and such. hummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Yes you will have to slow down a loosen tension but if you still have trouble, run a thread like bottom line along with the delicate thread and it will give it some strength. I had to do that on a wallhanging. With both threads used together it made it much stronger and using a color close to the delicate thread hides it.

I also used it before and had horrible breakage, but was determined to use it. I gave up trying to reduce tension on my top thread and ended up using the thread only in the bobbin. I never thought to run another thread with it. Good idea. I was, after finishing the quilt, told that if I put the thread spool on horizontally, this would have helped. I do have an additional thread holder for that, but haven't installed it yet.

My biggest problem with the bobbin was in getting the bobbin filled using my stand-alone bobbin winder that came with my Millie. The thread would break constantly. I finally ended up not putting the thread through the guides and using my finger for the tension guide. I think I finally got a full bobbin wound after 7-8 partial bobbins. And it was the last one that I used to finish the quilt.

The quilt turned out fantastic, minus the holographic thread on the top. It was more important to have it on the bottom for this quilt. The quilt was for my grand-daughter. The first thing she said was "look at the glittery thread". So, gals, that thread is fantastic when finished. (Straight from the scrutiny of a 5-year old).

I've attached a pic of the final quilt backwhich was comfy fleece and pink holographic thread.

post--13461898098581_thumb.jpg

I have used it too, yucky, ptui!!

It has to wind off the spool flat, you need to use a horizontal spool holder. I like to use mono in the bobbin for threads like this, if the tension goes wonky it doesn't show.

And if you can't control it, tell the custome that multiple thread brakes will show causing points to be taken off for judging, so it may not be worth it. Superior metalic comes in MANY colors and behaves much better!

LOVE this thead, even more than metallic for the look it gives. I prefer to use So Fine! in the bobbin.

Have successfully used this thread many times. Last year on a large quilt for our local Quilt Show raffle quilt with a pretty tedious panto design.

PS: It "ripps" terrifically. (should you happen to need to unquilt here and there.) Just pull the bottom thread and the Glitter will pop, pop, pop. But still I have not heard any negative comments with this thread from any of the customer quilts I have used it on.

Thanks ladies.....I just got to thinking about another questions. How does it wash up....I am putting this one a wallhanging, and I don't expect it to be washed much, but should it be on a bed quilt....How does it do. Thanks. This information is coming in handy as what I will finally wind up doing....

Now wait a minute..... do you really want to use a thread that "ripps"

terrifically? That worries me... I have not tried using this on the top at all

yet, but I wonder too about washing after the ripping comment. Has any

one tried to toss a sample into the wash?

I always hope that everything that leaves my shop, will stay the way it is

when it leaves. You never know though how somebody will care for a

quilt.

Judi,

I too am thinking that this stuff has its place and a quilt just might not be the right one....a garment maybe. But something with a bit more weight when wet might not be the right one. I too am scared of it popping its stitches and having a huge mess. This customer is really fussy so I don't want to do something that could mess up a good relationship.:)

Well, I don't know. Nothing is perfect or lasts forever, but it's really a great thread. I describe it like a holographic, metallicized, polyester tape. I like it a lot more than metallic for both it's quilt-ability and the fabulous look. So far, anything I've used from Superior has been a great thread to quilt with. I don't know any customer that's going to purposely "pop" the thread on her quilt the way I would to rip out an area of quilting. I'm a pretty aggressive "frogger". :mad:

Anything depends on how you intend to use it, abuse it, or care for it. I have a little boy with a very raggedy quilt that's been washed about 300 times, overquilted three times, and most of that thread has come undone!:P

I'm sure its not going to get the kid test or the 300 washings, but will need to pass a very criticial eye.

Oh, I know what this stuff is...I use to use have some, but never used it and after about 5 years on the shelf it got very brittle and I threw it away...Now remember this was a sample box that was given out when Superior Threads first opened their doors....what say 10 years ago, and this thread was not carried for properly. It hadn't been wrapped or anything, just laying in the bottom of the thread box, and after tripping over it and such it just went bad so out it went.

Guess it won't hurt to purchase a small spool and see how it works in the ol' beast.

Razzle Dazzle...would be good, but I need this on top...and not sure if I turned the quilt upside down I would know where I want it.....will have to think about that as well.

Archived