Channel Locks and Basting

Having completed a grand total of four quilts, I now understand why everyone has stressed basting as close to the edge as possible.  :-)   However, folks also recommend channel locks to keep straight.  However, many quilts are NOT straight on the edge and if you engage the channel locks, you will run off the edge in some places and go in too far in others.  So,  I would love some advice on the best way to handle this.  Thanks!

I primarily use my channel locks to see that the quilt is staying "square": rows are parallel to the rollers and are straight, and columns are perpendicular to the rollers and straight. Then you can re-position the top as needed.  (That involves no stitching, just moving the machine head.)  Doing that will reveal whether the borders are nice and flat and even or wavy or uneven or whatever state they are in. Then just deal with the borders - with or without the channel locks as appropriate. When basting uneven or fluffy borders, I "walk" the basting - using needle up and down, rather than normal stitching with the "go" toggle.

I stitch my edges down say about 1/8 of from the edge (very close) just to prevent the foot from grabbing it when stitching and not looking.  I use my channel locks to stitch a straight row at the top of my quilt, line my quilt top along that straight stitch and it gives me a good starting point.  Yes, you can use the vertical channel locks to make sure your quilt is staying square, but the pointi of stitching the edges is primarily to prevent your foot from getting under the quilt and ripping your quilt.  

I also use my channel locks to stitch a straight row at the top to line up my quilt top (I float my quilts).  I manually  baste the top for the reasons you gave.  Sharon, what a great idea for checking if the quilt is staying square, I'm going to try it next quilt.  I have IQ and I hate those not so square borders and sashings. 

Archived