Starting a Quilting Biz -- Need help

I'm in the process of starting a Quilt business. I'm looking to design the quilts, but have someone else put them together and quilt them. I'm coming up empty on resources who might do this. Anyone have a similiar situation?

It would work like this: I would design the quilts, put a sample together, provide the fabric and batting. Then, I would hire someone to do the cutting, piecing, and machine quilting.

Any advice you could offer would be extremely helpful.

Thanks much.

Amy :)

Amy: Would you be selling the finished quilts? Would you make one quilt per design or would you make the same quilt 5 times, 10 times?? Do you already have a market for selling the finished quilts?

Are you coming up empty on resources as to who would piece the quilts? Surely you're not having a hard time finding quilters. If so . . you should find several takers on this list.

Have you checked with your local quilt shop to see if they know of anyone who might help you with the piecing part? Maybe post a note at Hancock's or JoAnn's and see if you can find someone through that route?

Judy,

Thanks for your reply.

I would be selling the finished quilts under my company name. I'm not interested in going overseas to get the work done, because I'm interested in better quality, American made merchandise.

Also, I have several designs that I would be making quilts from. So I'd be making one design several times.

I do have a market for the finished quilts, and my web site will be up and running soon. I need some inventory before I can open for business, though.

I'm trying to eventually open up a store front, but want to raise some capital before doing so, and I figured this is the perfect business strategy to do so.

I actually am having a hard time finding quilters. I have been quilting for a long time and love it, but I don't have time to run the business and do all of the piecing and quilting myself.

So, I would plan on negotiating a piecing price separate from a quilting price for each design. And, I'd supply the batting and the fabrics necessary to do the work.

I have checked with the few quilt shops in my area and I'm coming up empty on folks that are interested in just doing the piecing and quilting.

Thanks again.

Amy

Amy: If you're looking for machine quilting, post a note here that you're looking for quilters. I know there are several here who aren't booked very far out and they'd love to help you. I can't help you with piecers in your area.

Have you tried:

- Putting an ad in the paper

- Checking at your local guild

- Running an ad in the quilt magazines

- Placing an ad on Quilt Traders' Newsletter

- Asking on the quilt related yahoo groups

- Posting a note or giving your card to the ladies who work at Hancocks or JoAnn's

- Speaking to your local homemakers' club

These are the things that come to mind without really thinking.

Guest Linda S

Amy - can you send me an email or a U2U message with a bit more on specifics? I'm not booked very far out and I do my quilting part time as I will be working full time in an office for the next 4.5 years till I retire. I like to piece and quilt, so this may be of interest to me.

Let me know what you have in mind as far as time line to make each quilt and what you envision paying per size of quilt. Also, I'm interest in the piecing method. I'm much better at strip piecing or paper piecing than I am at using templates.

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

Amy - please send me information on what you are looking for, your location, etc. I would be very interested in pursuing this with you (even by mail, if necessary) and would be very interested in talking with you about participating with cutting, piecing, etc. Please send information direct to my email address: karen@windridge-homes.com

Karen

Amy,

Depending if you still need any others for piecing and or quilting, I would possibly be interested. I don't know your location or what your plan is, but I live in Illinois and run a machine quilting bus. from my home,but also piece quilts. Contact me if interested.

stonehousequiling@earthlink.net

Thanks, Jennifer

• 1 month later...

Hi Amy,

I am in FL and am willing to piece for you. I did this when living in Mpls several years ago, making up tp three of the same tops and also samples for shops. Do you want to see a sample of quilting? Please send speciifc info. toMonnrabbit Quilts at email asungrace1@comcast.net

Anne

Archived