Millie has blown a fuse, screws too tight

I am in Alberta, Canada.  Turned my machine on after an extended period of time that it was off and it made a loud noise and then no power.  I looked at the fuse by the switch and it looked fine.  My problem in getting to the second fuse under the covers is that I have 4 screws that are so tight, I cannot loosen them and I am afraid I will strip them.  Has anyone used any product on  tight screws to help loosen them?  I hope it is the second fuse that is the problem.  Thanks for any help and suggestions.

You need a screwdriver that fits the screws well with a decent sized handle.  If you don’t have the strength to push in and turn at the same time and nobody stronger to help you. Try tapping the handle of the screwdriver with a hammer at the same time as you are turning the screw out.  The heads of the screws are quite soft so if you mess them up replace them ASAP.  You can get suitable replacements at your local hardware store if you don’t have spares.  

Nigel

A long handled screwdriver is going to give you the most leverage / torque to loosen and remove a screw. Follow Nigel's advice by tapping to get the screwdriver into the grooves of the screw. Being careful, slow and deliberate, while pushing in/down into the screw, turn left and you should be able to get that screw loose without stripping the top of the screw. Definitely a long handled screw driver is your friend. 

If grip strength is the issue, you can use an offset screw driver handle, or even a 1/4 inch socket with philips socket.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-25-Piece-Magnetic-Ratcheting-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver-Set/50135072

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-1-Piece-1-4-in-Drive-Quick-Release-Ratchet/999930608

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-4-in-Drive-Pozi-Driver-Socket/1000567371

Any hardware store can set you up with the tools you need to repair you machine.

You can gently tap the back of the driver/wrench as Nigel suggested to keep from stripping the screw heads.  

When you put the screws back in, use a small handle screw driver (NOT the pistol grip one) so you do not over tighten them, and they will come out easily in the future.  Normally the smaller the handle the less grip and torque you can put on the screw

Best of luck repairing your quilting machine.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I have stripped one screw head completely and 2 are very close.  Did manage to get one off.  Have used penetrating oil in hopes that will help.  Got a stripped screw extraction set from Home Depot but not sure if it is going to help.  Also got replacement screws.  This is probably going to take professional help to get the cover off.  I went to The Source (Radio Shack in US) and they no longer carry the fuse that is required. 3.15 amp 250v slow blow.  Still trying to source this part. 

13 hours ago, isabellez said:

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I have stripped one screw head completely and 2 are very close.  Did manage to get one off.  Have used penetrating oil in hopes that will help.  Got a stripped screw extraction set from Home Depot but not sure if it is going to help.  Also got replacement screws.  This is probably going to take professional help to get the cover off.  I went to The Source (Radio Shack in US) and they no longer carry the fuse that is required. 3.15 amp 250v slow blow.  Still trying to source this part. 

Call APQS they can send you fuses. 

There is another method to get the screws out I learned from Amy.  Take a standard (flat) screwdriver and hold it perpendicular to the edge of the screw and give it a decent whack with a hammer and that will leave a divot in the edge.  Put the tip of tip of the screwdriver in the divot and angle the screwdriver so when you tap the handle with the hammer the screw turns counter clockwise.  Once it starts to turn it will come out easy.  You can use a 4 amp slow blow fuse if you can’t find the 3.15 locally but no larger, this I was told by APQS.   I am sure Matt Sparrow will have them.  

Nigel

Archived