Mid-Arm Quilting Ideas

11 hours ago, Mid-Arm Quilting said:

Mid size system on rails.  My friend showed me hers, it’s not as long as a “regular” long arm due  to the size of her room.  The sit down is not a favorite as I still have to pin.

This sounds like a "hoop frame" type machine.  Babylock Coronet/HQ Simply Sixteen, Brother Dream Quilter/BlockRockIt/Grace Q'Nique.

APQS doesn't make one like that.  None of the frames are designed for "re-hooping" to quilt a new area.

While the "hoop frame" systems do allow you to quilt by moving the machine (vs the fabric), be aware that you will still have to baste (pin, glue, spray, etc.) the quilt sandwich before loading, just like doing sit-down quilting where you move the quilt sandwich.  You have to secure all three layers just like you do now.

If you want to do pantographs, that's going to be "challenging" when you have to keep unloading and reloading the quilt sandwich and hoping to get it lined up properly.  I'm not sure those hoop frames have a table designed for doing pantos, either.

If you are seriously interested in one of those machines, the "Quilting with Grace" FB page has a lot of Q'Nique owners and you can learn more about the hoop frame there.  (You'll also see a lot of people trying to sell their hoop frame so they can buy a traditional Continuum frame).

Michelle

Mid-Arm Quilting,

If you do a search for "mid-arm quilting machine" you will find a few differing measurements.  Some say a mid-arm is a machine with 12-17 inches of throat space, whereas a long-arm is 18-24 inches.  While others will say a mid-arm has a throat space of 16-22 inches, and long-arm machines have a 23+ inch throat.  

I believe your true question is how large of a quilt can you comfortably quilt on a 12-22 inch throat machine?  

The smaller the throat space and the lower the throat hight, the smaller quilt area you will have to work in when the quilt is close to fully rolled on the rear roller.  Look at the Lenni verses the Millie.  The Lenni has a 22" long and a 8" tall throat, while the Millie has a 26" long and 10.5" throat.  The Millie will allow you to quilt a larger block without rolling the quilt forward or back, when most coming to the end of the quilt.  

More area must be important, or APQS would probably not have brought out the Millie 30, with a 30" long and 10.5" tall throat.  Hopefully a more experience large quilt quilter can share their knowledge and opinion concerning your question.  

My opinion would be to suggest purchasing the longest throat and longest table your room can comfortably fit, and your wallet can comfortably afford.  I doubt there are many quilters that say they bought too long of a long-arm, while there are probably many quilters that wish they had a longer throat as they approach the end of their quilt.

Best of luck shopping.  

Cagey

Thanks for your help!  My friend has the SweetSixteen, I think the rails are about 15’.  It’s all one continuous stitching, she does not have to stop to do any adjustments. I am impressed with it.  My goal is to be able to stand while stitching and not have to do all the pinning by hand and struggling with the quilt.  I have a Janome Horizon and I find it a pain getting my quilts thru the throat.  So as a beginner I want to place my quilts on those three rollers and stitch away.  I want the setup for my own enjoyment and not as a business.  I have so many quilts, large runners and mats that I just want to quilt myself.  Always drawing, even doing my own embroidery designs, I think I will adjust pretty easy to the stitching required,  I will look at the Millie, and others, to gain insight. Not easy being a newbie wanting a starting point! Thanks, again, I appreciate input! Sandi

I would call a mid-arm as anything 15" and under.

My suggestion to you is to look for an APQS Lenni.  Bigger than your friend's SweetSixteen, but small enough to handle easily.  I'd shop for a used one, knowing full well that APQS is there for any assistance and support you might need.  The APQS machines are industrial strength, simple, and almost un-breakable.  I've got a 23 year old Ult 2, and couldn't be happier.  Jim

On 6/14/2020 at 6:33 PM, Mid-Arm Quilting said:

Thanks for your help!  My friend has the SweetSixteen, I think the rails are about 15’.  It’s all one continuous stitching, she does not have to stop to do any adjustments. 

Ah, OK.  Usually when one talks about a shorter longarm because of space constraints, they are talking about table length not table/machine depth.

Definitely look at Lenni.  2019 and newer are 22" throat depth (older are 20", I think).  If you look at a Sweet Sixteen plus table new, they're probably close to the same price and Lenni gets you more quilting space AND the amazing APQS team behind the machine.  And definitely get Bliss on the table if you go APQS.  Bliss is the rail system that makes the machine head much easier/more graceful to move as you quilt, especially compared to the competition.

Michelle