How do I replace the tension unit?

Hi all,

I have an old Utlmate XX and the tension spring was misbehaving, so I ordered a new tension unit.  There’s nothing in the manual I got with the machine, so  I was hoping the part would come with instructions!  Can you help?

Do I need to take the side off to access the interior?  Does the whole tension unit unscrew from outside the side panel?

Frustrated,

—JD

I believe the XX is similar to the other APQS machines except it has a longer throat.  If so you should find a hole with an Allen head set screw behind the tension assembly if you are standing at the front of the head. If you look at the new assembly you will see a groove about an eighth of an inch from the edge on the end that goes inside the machine.  That is where the screw will tighten and hold the assembly in.  Loosen the screw a few turns and the assembly should pull straight out and insert the new one.  The proper positioning will have straight part of the spring pointing at about 11 o’clock. Don’t push the assembly in too far as to have the spring rub the side of the head, you will see what I mean when you get that far.  Sorry I don’t have pictures or better instructions, my service manuals went when I retired and sold my machines.

Nigel

Nigel!

You just saved my Saturday [and did my marriage a favor....  :)]

Much appreciated for your very good advice!  New tension unit is now installed, but my top thread is still way too tight and snapping threads.  I’ve gone burr-hunting, replaced the 3-hole guide, unthreaded and re-threaded.  Back to the drawing board...

Thank you, thank you.  

—-JD

JD,

You might try only running the thread through two verses three of the thread guide holes prior to the tension unit.

Here are a few links to APQS discussions on tension that may help you;

https://www.apqs.com/can-properly-adjust-tension/

https://www.apqs.com/quilting-the-quilt-stop-stressing-over-tension/

https://www.apqs.com/step-by-step-process-for-thread-breakage-problems/

Best of luck to you getting it adjusted.  

Cagey

Loosen the two pigtail guides and rotate them upside down and retighten and retread, this will eliminate or confirm them as a problem for your breakage. One more thing to check.  I had a couple of spools of Glide that were wound improperly and every now and then the thread catch on itself on the cone and stop feeding vertically.  Not a common problem but it does happen.  Also follow through the threads Cagey has provided, her advice is always solid.

Please let us know when you find your problem

Nigel

54 minutes ago, RunningThreads said:

Loosen the two pigtail guides and rotate them upside down and retighten and retread, this will eliminate or confirm them as a problem for your breakage. One more thing to check.  I had a couple of spools of Glide that were wound improperly and every now and then the thread catch on itself on the cone and stop feeding vertically.  Not a common problem but it does happen.  Also follow through the threads Cagey has provided, her advice is always solid.

Please let us know when you find your problem

Nigel

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the good advice and troubleshooting.  I changed needle, thread, re-threaded, tried 2/3 holes on the one near the tension, turned the pigtails, and for a few minutes we were back in business.  But I guess the old fella must have heard me on the phone trying to arrange a well-deserved spa date for him, because he started acting up again.  I think I will step away and see if we can get a service scheduled soon.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience - it’s so encouraging and appreciated.

Have a great weekend everyone,

—JD

• 1 month later...

A really good question, although replacing a tension unit is relatively easy to do. A really good question, although replacing a tension unit is relatively easy to do. There are many different types of tension units. Some are built into the machine, some are digital, and some are standalone units. Before you install your new tension unit, take a second to inspect the unit and make sure the factory settings are perfect. You should feel resistance and the spring should recovery smoothly to its resting position. Gently lift and turn your spring so that this little bar fits into the next groove. Repeat this process until you’re satisfied with the tension. Also, for anyone looking for printed splashbacks, at https://www.diysplashbacks.co.uk/printed-splashbacks you can find the best printed splashbacks available on the market at reasonable prices, which will give your kitchen an exclusive look.